UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Guys

My dog is 14 months old and for a very long time has not gone for a wee in the kitchen. Obviously when she was a pup this was the norm until she could hold it in.

Now for the past week she has been going for a wee in the kitchen at night. She has regular walks morning and night and we always make sure she goes for a wee when we lock up and go to bed. My husband always leaves the house between 3am - 4am and he says there is nothing when he leaves so she is doing it between then and 7am.

I am always up to greet her at 7am and she knows that she will be getting her walk at this time so I really don't understand why she has started to do this.

Any ideas or help?

Thanks
Anna

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Have you had her checked by the vet to make sure she hasn't got a mild urinary infection that might be causing her to wee?

Be forwarned, they may ask for a sample, it's not the easiest thing to do but the take away plastic tubs seem to be the best thing to catch a sample in! And then transfer safely to something that is more securely fastened.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
It could be but there's very little chance you will be able to pin it down to annual boosters. Dogs regularly have reactions, but there's little you can do about it, my bitch developed a canine papilloma after her vaccinations one year, so I took the decision that I would stop her annual vaccinations. I've got a youngster who will have her vaccinations at one year of age, and then that will be it for my lot. There's a lot of information out there about it, I think it's a Professor D Schultz who has done quite a bit of research into canine vaccinations and the immune system. I'm sure if you give his name a google you'll find out more.

One other thing to consider is she might be coming into season, my flatcoat bitch has been known to scent mark inside when she is at her most hormonal. Crating overnight can help stop this sort of behaviour, as a dog won't like to lie in it's own urine if it can help it, but if it's a health issue then it won't necessarily stop it, and might actually distress your girl if she really does need to pee. So that would be my first port of call, and if it isn't a urinary infection, then work on it being something either hormonal/behavioural.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hummm ok didn't think it could be her season - she had one at 9 months can she have another one at this time? i am not really sure of the approx time scale is between each season.

Will monitor for the rest of the week and if she is still doing it will book her in on Monday or give the vets a call.

thanks for you help anyways

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Seasons depend on the individual bitch, mine are usually regular, coming in at 9 months of age or there abouts, and then having a season every six months. But lots of bitches have different cycles, and even completely irregular cycles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thought now and forgot to add it on originally - Lilly is left from 8.30am until about 3-4pm and there is no accidents then so why is it just at night?? confused.com

G

·
Does your OH take her out for a pee when he gets Up in the wee hours? Just thinking if she wakes up when your OH rises, this might prompt her to need to go like a puppy does when they wake up. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hummmm no he doesn't actually but i think 9 times out of 10 she is fast asleep and doesn't wake up when he get up and goes to work but i will speak to him later and see what he says maybe we need to do that also and see what happens.

thanks

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hiya Guys

My dog is 14 months old and for a very long time has not gone for a wee in the kitchen. Obviously when she was a pup this was the norm until she could hold it in.

Now for the past week she has been going for a wee in the kitchen at night. She has regular walks morning and night and we always make sure she goes for a wee when we lock up and go to bed. My husband always leaves the house between 3am - 4am and he says there is nothing when he leaves so she is doing it between then and 7am.

I am always up to greet her at 7am and she knows that she will be getting her walk at this time so I really don't understand why she has started to do this.

Any ideas or help?

Thanks
Anna
If she is peeing more in general and in larger amounts it could be a UTI or a low grade one, but I see that she can hold it for longer periods and be fine, but you could get it checked out especially if you have noticed more frequency and quantity as well and especially if it gets worse. They can be prone to them pre and post season too.

I also noticed though having a quick read through, that when your OH gets up, he isnt letting her out to pee, it could well be that he is waking her up or she wakes when she hears him leave and once awake she needs to pee. So I would also ask him when he gets up to pop her out and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just thought i would let you no - I didn't wake up to a wee in the kitchen this morning. Hubby didn't let her out either as she was fast asleep and always flat out when he goes to work.

Watch this space :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.