Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

toilet habits

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by skinnyhelen67, Sep 19, 2013.

1. skinnyhelen67

skinnyhelen67 PetForums Junior

Both my cats perch on the edge of the litter tray to do ther business. Does anyone know if there are litter trays with a lid that still allow the perching position because the open litter tray is in my living room and it isn't the nicest smell and sight when I am eating.

I bought the Booda clean step litter tray but the ledge on which to squat is quite narrow so one of my cats actually managed to poo on her leg and then spread it around the house before we could grab her and clean her leg so we brought the old litter tray back in.

they will get their cat flap installed next weekend but these are cats who have never been to the toilet outside so I hope we can train them to go.

1) can you train a cat not to perch on the litter tray so I they can use one with a lid (cat is 5)
    2) can you train a cat to go to the toilet outside?

and if not then can any recommend a litter tray with a lid where they can still sit on the ledge?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I have found that cats often perch on the edge either because they feel the litter tray is too small, or they do not like the type of litter, or they don;t think the tray is clean enough, i.e. it might smell bad to them, even if not to humans.

If you provide some large covered trays (ensure they are tall enough for an adult to squat upright in the defecating position), and fill them with a nice soft litter such as Cats Best Oko Plus (cereal based), then you may find they are happy with that. The advantage of this type of cat litter is that it clumps well so you can scoop easily, and flush it. It means the rest of the litter in the tray does not get contaminated by smell, as happens with cheap litters (such as wood pellets).

Most cats once they start going out will toilet outdoors, and you will not need to do anything to train them. However there are some outdoor cats who actually prefer to come in and use a litter tray -- perhaps they feel safer, less vulnerable that way. If yours turn out to be like this, I would not interfere at all - let them decide at their own pace if they want to toilet outside. if you make an issue of it, or take away the trays you risk creating a problem where none existed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice