Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Today I went to P@H for some treats...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by jaderosehere, Sep 12, 2013.

1. jaderosehere

jaderosehere PetForums Member

And ended up walking out with this hunk
    [​IMG]
    Meet Bob.
    He was in the adoption area, apparently brought in when 'the kids didn't want him anymore' everyone who works there loved him and said he was always really sweet, which he is! Apparently he's been there for about a month and he came in alone too. I had to take him so he's in the girls travel cage at the moment.

I want to get him neutered and put him in with the girls as soon as, does anyone have any advice? I called the vets earlier too to see if they neuter rats and I am waiting on a reply, otherwise I don't really know where to go.

He's a real sweetie but a little wary, he freezes up when I go in the cage to stroke him and doesn't relax, though he isn't being aggressive either. Just scared I think. He is VERY overweight too, so when I can get him in the big cage hopefully he'll lose it all soon :)

2. Nat88

Nat88 PetForums Senior

He's adorable! I'm sure he'll settle in quickly. Sorry I can't help with the neutering, I've never had a rat done. I adopted a roan from P@H two years ago, he now lives with his two younger brothers :)

3. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

I had to have wally neutered due to aggression. It cost £80 I'm in the midlands.

If you get him done you'd need to wait 2 weeks before introducing him to your girls. (I think it's 2 weeks)
    This is to make sure all sperm is gone.

What I will say is often with castration in rats they can get an abcess which wally did but it cleared after being bathed and gently squeezed out.
    Also wally opened up his glued area and there was a gaping hole :eek: I had to take him back in and I asked for him to be stitched not glued this time. That was the day after the op.

When you say fat are you sure he's fat? What I mean is male rats are quite a bit bigger than females.
    If you could weigh him that will say whether he's fat or not.

#3 blade100, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    WelshYorkieLover likes this.
  4. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

He's lovely by the way.

5. WelshYorkieLover

WelshYorkieLover PetForums VIP

He's beautiful! Poor baby all on his own! Thankfully his new mummy spotted him! I had my Chico neutered due to aggressive behaviour! I know people that gets all their rats neutered. I have heard there's a lot of health benefits esp for the does as they most likely wont get mammoth tumours. Don't know if this true but I'm sure he'll do great! My vet always tells me "don't worry scientists tests everything on these guys so we know they can take it!" Lol.

6. halfeatenapple

halfeatenapple PetForums Senior

He doesn't look fat. He looks like a normal boy.

God if he's fat my boys are too!!

7. jaderosehere

Thanks everyone :) he's really sweet can't wait for him to get used to me, I was trying to give him a treat earlier and I make a little noise when I give the girls treats so was doing it for him and he just ignored me completely! Living with kids alone doesn't seem to have done him good :( I also gave him a quick little bath and his fur was filthy! He needs the girls to groom him I think ;)

I think he is a little over weight, he is a lot bigger than the girls, barely fits in my hand, but he is wide too and sluggish, struggles getting into the hammock and I've been told he's 9 months old so he shouldn't struggle too much.

I'm so excited to get him in the big cage with the girls I just hope they all get on well :) they'll have a few weeks of getting used to each others smells so fingers crossed all goes well for bob :) I'll post more photos tomorrow.

8. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

You have to use two hands to hold one of my boys! Denzel weighs 1kg!
    Roughly though male rats are said to be between 500g- 650g well a couple of my old boys are that then denzel being 1kg.
    I think my smallest rat is around 540g and he's 27months old.
    I can't comment on my 4 youngsters as they've not finished growing yet.

9. jaderosehere

well I just weighed Bob and he's only 550g! I'm just used to my petite girls haha, they look tiny in comparison!

10. CRL

CRL Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

thats why i prefer boys. they grow bigger. my Rydddlin is 801g. his uncle Eldunari (RIP) weighed 921g at his largest. i love squishy bucks.
    he is handsome,

#10 CRL, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  11. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

He's lovely - and so lucky to get you and your girls as family. I expect he's anxious because he's had rough handling from the kids in his previous home. You're really fortunate he didn't become aggressive.

Lots of luck to you when they all get together. (Just wondering - I don't have, and never have had rats, so I don't know how territorial they are, but would it be less controversial to introduce the girls into his cage rather than the other way round? Feel free to shoot me down in flames . . . ):001_smile:

12. jaderosehere

I have no idea! when I introduced my first two girls with the second two I just put them straight into the cage and they were fine :)
    I will probably introduce them outside of the cage one at a time with Bob seeing as he's been alone for who knows how long and I don't want to overwhelm him!

13. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

Perfect weight for a male rat ;)
    And yes do a proper intro on neutral ground as you don't know how he and your girls will react to one another. Your girls are older now, not babies so it "could" be tricky. However girls usually are very excepting.

Have you been in touch with any good rodent savvy vets?

14. lisa0307

lisa0307 PetForums VIP

Well done for rescuing him hun...Bob is beautiful x :)

15. DarcyGerbil

DarcyGerbil PetForums Junior

Aww he looks lovely! :) Good luck with introducing him to the girls!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice