Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Toaster trouble!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Daisy19, May 22, 2020 at 11:41 PM.

1. Daisy19

Daisy19 PetForums Newbie

Our 8 year old yorkshire terrier lives up to his breed standard and loves to bark. The problem is he seems to keep finding new things to set him off. Recently it's the toaster. Every time I put it on he stands and growls and yaps at the toaster and when it pops he goes nuts at it.
    This is the latest noise in a string of triggers that set him off. Other things are the tumble drier alarm, cooker alarm, post box and the door bell.
    Im struggling to find a way to stop this behaviour and especially with lockdown it's getting more and more annoying for us.

So far I've tried distraction by calling him away and giving him a treat which doesn't exactly work as he's not very food orientated.
    I've tried a firm no which he happily ignores.
    I've tried ignoring him completely and only going to the source of the noise when he's stopped barking but this isn't always possible (doorbell, oven and toaster)
    This problem has been going on for years and each of these things I've tried for at least 3 months each and followed them religiously to try and curb this behaviour but it's becoming worse.
    Any ideas to help? He isn't food orientated when these things happen, you could literally wave a liver paste cream cake in front of him and he wouldn't care. He doesn't play and doesn't respond to being called as he's too fixated on the thing he's barking at.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice