Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To vaccinate or not to vaccinate?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Parsa, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

Hello,

As some of you know, I have adopted a domestic shorthair named Toby. I got him and had to battle soft stool for a while until I got him back to normal with chicken at first - suddenly decided not to have it anymore - then tried Royal canin gastrointestinal kitten wet food, which he loved and had log poops within a day!

I have unfortunately during that time tested positive with Covid-19 and couldn’t take him to the vet for vaccinations, my quarantine will end tomorrow and I have booked an appointment for Monday morning.

the problem is, he has once again gotten soft stool. Which puts me at a crossroads on wether I should vaccinate him or not.

or better yet Can I vaccinate him while he has soft stools? I’ve heard vaccinations can be stressful for cats and kittens so I’m not sure what to do.

I’m guessing it’s his food as the RC gastro fixed him up literally within a day, the chicane took 3 days but it was all ok.

Would you recommend I buy him sensitive foods? Or try more of a medical investigation?

( the vets here are very careless IMO, it could be that I overthink but the last time I had to beg the doc to give me some medicine for his diarrhea *this was before trying the diet change and it actually made him worse for some reason*)

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I would keep him on the RC Gastro. One of mine was on that for 9 months. He had the wet and the dry food. Then i gradually changed it and he was ok.
    If you are concerned about the vaccinations then i would cancel it and do it later.
    My vet would not neuter my Boy until everything had cleared up and he was then neutered at the age of 10 months.

chillminx and Parsa like this.
  3. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

@jill3 thankyou for the reply. Ah I decided to cancel it for the time being, I did take him to the vet though and got him prescription gastro rc dry kitten. Will try again next week. I’m worried that if I neuter him too late he might pick up some bad habits like spraying. Oh well. One step at a time. Thanks again!

jill3 likes this.
  4. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I hope Toby is getting on okay with his RC food.
    As for neutering him i would ask your vet. I ididn't neuter mine till he was 9 months old but he is a British short hair and they are late developers. How old is he?

5. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

@jill3 puma is doing great! I changed his name, he just wasn’t a Toby but he is a little puma so it fit hehe. 2 days after starting him on RC veterinary he got normal stool. I took him back to the vet on the weekend and he said if the recovery was that quick then he could get vaccinated!

‘he’s got his shots now and I’m going to wait another month and a half before I neuter him, he’s 5.5 months I’d say. He’s a domestic shorthair and was a stray so I’m guessing his urge to mate is very strong. I am worried but what else can I do, as long as he’s happy and healthy!

jill3 likes this.
  6. Parsa

Parsa PetForums Junior

03CB4386-5102-4E21-9C40-DA3CFD15F081.jpeg

jill3 likes this.
  7. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

He is lovely. Glad he is doing well on the RC.
    Yes you are right that domestic short hairs need neutering sooner. Am sure your little one will be fine when the time comes xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice