Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To those who have owned Cavaliers and Cav crosses...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lizz1155, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

How old did your dog live til, and did it get mitral valve disease and/or heart failure?

Cavaliers are utterly lovely dogs, but the tendency of purebred Cav's to get MVD scared me too much to get a Cav. Instead (and for reasons beyond the MVD thing), I have a Cav x toy poodle - I'm trying to establish the likelihood him still getting MVD?

2. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

My parents cav is almost 8 and has had no problems at all

We suspect he originally came from a Welsh puppy farm so I suppose he's just very lucky so far

3. rose

rose PetForums VIP

Hi
    I have always had cavaliers. My first Sweep died at 10 of bone cancer (PTS)
    Cassie died just before her 8th birthday of MVD, Lily died just after her 10th birthday of MVD, Kitty was PTS aged 11, slight heart murmur but had lost the use of her back legs 2 years before and we gave up when she had severe ulcers in both eyes. phoebe is 14 + has had a murmur for 8 years, now in heart failure but still manages a short walk and loves her food. I have a rescue ex breeder from MT who is about 8 with a grade 3-4 murmur.
    Good luck !

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice