Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To those of you who breed large or giant breed dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Lucy1012, May 31, 2010.

1. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

How long do you spend supervising mum and pups? Our puppies are 7 days old tomorrow, and we are still supervising them 24 hours a day. We are planning on doing this for a little longer, as mum can be a little clumsy. She is however beginning to take more care when she gets back intot the whelping box. We have pig rails, so they will hopefully help prevent any squashing...

We did buy a video monitor, but just cannot get the thing to work upstairs due to poor reception. So plan on another 4 days at least camping out in the puppy room. What does everyone else do??

2. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Until their eyes are open and they are all up on their feet :) At which time you take out the pig rails if you have them.

3. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I have to say, I sleep down with mine from about a week before mum is due until they all leave - not because any of the mums have been overly clumsy - it's just something I do.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I sleep with them til they leave, but I'm awake with them for 24/7 until they are seeing and mobile.

5. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

Stayed with our pups till eyes open etc so about day 12-14 i went back upstairs then checked several times during night for a few days.
    Some time after 3 weeks pups were in large pen area which mum could get in but pups couldnt get out............and i slept all night;) (well unbroken for at least 5 hours!!!)

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

About 3/4 weeks until my back hurts and I'm desperate for my bed. :D

7. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

a week for me,roughs are excellent mums,

8. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Maybe 'sleep' was the wrong word - my normal sleep pattern is only around 4/5 hours a night - with pups, I tend to 'sleep' when my partner comes home from work and takes over.

9. Lucy1012

Lucy1012 PetForums Senior

thanks all, James and I are taking it in turns to do the night shift and have arranged for one of us to be here during the day whilst the other one goes to work. I think we can manage to do this for another 2 weeks. Then I will set up a baby monitor and return to my bed, at least I will be able to hear them and arrange checks throughout the night. My cats are missing me like crazy :)

My mum is happy to help look after them during the day, but did not want her to have the responsibility of having to heave a 40kg dog off of the puppies, so by 3 weeks she should be able to cope.

The pups are doing well, I am having to top up 2 of the smaller pups with Whelpi but they are now catching up fast. I am enjoying this so much, but do not think I will be in a hurry to do it again lol, I don't think you can ever prepare yourself for such long hours and hard work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice