Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To scared to walk my dog.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by willow103, Jun 23, 2018.

1. willow103

willow103 PetForums Newbie

Hi i’m really scared to walk my dog where i live.
    I had a terrifying experience with a dog and its owners, when trying to walk home. I was just about to walk up a road on the small hill with houses that I have to pass every day to get home from walking my dog.
    A family of 6 where standing ouside there house whatching there to kids go Karting down the hill, they where holding the dog by the coller, (no leed).
    I could see the dog was agitated by the kids go-karting, and it was barking and pulling away from the owner, trying to assess the situation, I decided to walk slowly closer with my dog on the lead hoping they would see me and stop, to let me pass. But not even 100m away the dog saw me and broke free from its owner, it bolted straight for me and my dog, it was trying to get hold of my dog and circling, snapping and growling at us trying to come in for a good bite, luckily my dog has a lot of fur so the bites didn’t get her skin!

And no I’m not sure what I’m meant to do in this type of situation, so i reacted with my instincts were i tryed to defend myself and my dog.
    I started shouting at it to get away and was flailing my arms about to create distance between me and the dog hopeing to scear it off, I was also trying to lift up my dog as it was trying to go straight for her neck, which was hard because she is so big.

The owners managed to call there dog back, at this point being rther shaken up i would of been happy to forgive and forget, but then i had 4 growen adults shouting and swearing at me saying that I was trying to hit there dog and that there dog was friendly, and then even though I was on the floor in tears they were threatening to beat me up and one of them started walking towards me shouting and with her hands in fists looking like she is ready to throw a punch at me.
    Obviously me in shock and in tears I got myself up and ran for my life.

There were witnesses and the police have spoken to them, but this being my only route to where i can walk my dog, i am physically terrified of passing there house and they always appear to be in, and my husband now has to do all the walking, i Managed to go out with him once but had a panic attack when going past there house, as the woman that tried to beat me up, was standing outside looking like she was waiting and I had to wait 15 minutes for her to go back inside for me to pass.

I feel Absolutely stupid and frustrated with myself and just terrified of what she and her family could do to me and our dog.
    I have struggled with anxiety when out alone anyway and owning a dog so far has really helped my confidence, but in the last 3 years since moving house , ive found dogs just love to attack my dog for no apparent reason, my dog is very loveing with a very soft nature and wouldent hert a fly, could this be down to her breed, she is a rough collie, so is very furry, and may look like a lion to other dogs ...

And i would never intentionally hurt a dog, i love them!

#1 willow103, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If the Police have spoken to this particular family, I believe it highly unlikely they would attempt to harm either you or your dog, as the incident will be on record.

Are you able to drive? Could you drive your dog to a different location for your walk?

3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Very sorry to hear this, some people can be utterly vile. As above, it they are known the police now for harassment as well as having a dog out of control, they would be rather stupid to try anything. ANY futher attempt at intimidation or harassment and you must immediately report to the police again. The ball is very much in your court.

Are early morning walks an option if driving isn’t?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. willow103

I can’t drive but, because of this situation i am now lurning!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. DizzyNova

DizzyNova PetForums Member

I am so sorry to read this, people can be so cruel!

I'm not sure how far this house is in relation to your own home, but could you walk that way and then turn around and go home if they are out on the street? I should think they would be unlikely to come out of their house if you were walking past (unless they were looking for you how would they even know). Would it be possible to call a family member/friend as you walk past the house for support until you get your confidence back? They may be less likely to say anything if you're on the phone as you will have witnesses to anything they say to you.

It's such a shame that they have taken all the joy from your dog walks - you did nothing wrong and yet you are the one suffering for it.

6. willow103

Thanks i will report them agin if they do anything, and early morning walks may be an option, just need to build up my confidence again.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

So sorry this happened to you and your dog - such scumbags! :mad:

Try accompanying your OH early morning or late evening when it’s more likely to be quiet so you can rebuild your confidence.

Do you have a friend who might pick you and your dog up in their car to walk elsewhere?

8. Tucson

Tucson PetForums Junior

Some people are vile and best avoided so I'd find an alternative route I'd also get myself a go pro camera and make sure it was on and recording whenever in doubt as to anyone's intentions. Most of us would have lashed out with our feet in such a situation you certainly shouldn't feel bad for trying to protect yourself and your dog. Other dogs have no clue what a lion is so that's not the issue, the issue is owners who can't and won't ever admit they are in the wrong, it's always someone else's fault.

willow103 and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice