Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

to scan or not to scan?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by nikkinuts, Apr 1, 2011.

1. nikkinuts

nikkinuts PetForums Newbie

hi all, breed my pekingese 15 days ago and excitedly waiting till 28 days to scan but have red some off putting things about scans not picking up pregnancy or the amount. what should i do as really want to know asap as sooo excited.

2. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome i see this is your first post.

Ok i never scan for how manypups as it can be so wrong. we counted 6 on my bitches scan she had 9 (dalmatian)

But i do think they are worth having so you can confirm the pregnancy. rather than waiting until she pops! you can prepare better then.

3. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Personally, I always recommend a scan, to rule out singleton pups. I take little notice of the numbers providing more than one is seen (more than 3 in a giant breed). Scanning 28 days post ovulation is the optimum time for the accuracy of the number of pups.

4. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

Toy breeds, especially the ones that have breathing issues, should be scanned, it is very very important to know approximately how many pups are floating around in there.

If they have just one, the pup will likely be too large for the dam to whelp on her own, thus needing c-section and too many (usually more than 3 or 4) will mean the dam is likely to tire out and thus, need a c-section.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice