Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To pink or not to pink

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Lolanme, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

So i have a girl that went for her first mating out to a (new to us) experienced stud just over 5wks ago and although my gut and experience tells me shes pregnant, as she has all the other signs, and hasn't come back into season, she hasn't pinked up or is very subtle.
    My other girls always pink up and is always so obvious, with her one day ill look n think erm maybe?, then the next ill look and think defo not lol.
    Obviously we will know in 4wks time lol, i dont like to palpitate my girls tummys, although she does feel firm to the touch, and i prefer not to take them to the vet for pregnancy diagnosis as i feel this can stress them out, plus iv never felt the need to as i normally know by wks 3.

But is there a possibility that she not pinked up but still pregnant? Iv never had this before

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

How many days post-mating is she? I know of some girls who never pink and the breeder doesn't know until she starts getting round in the middle. You can have a home scan done at 28 days for confirmation

3. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

Hi, she would be 38 days, unfortunately no one near me does mobile scanning

4. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Have you any other signs?

5. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

Shes extremely fussy with me, normally she likes to keep herself to herself and is not a lap cat, but shes really fussy, i mean in your face fussy, knocking of my glasses off purring alot. She has a fluffy toy that she has just started to carry around in her mouth and hide in dark places around the house. Also she often grabs another cat and grooms them to death, bottom included, much to there annoyance.
    Her milk tracks feel saggy if u know what i mean not tight and firm to the tummy.
    Ill be prepared just incase anyway and feeding her as though she is, she should start to get more round over the next week or two.

6. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I used to have a girl who never pinked up, I wouldn't bother with a scan and just wait it out.
    Most matings result in pregnancy and you'll know from other signs as the weeks pass.

7. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I have to say, on most occasions when I've had girls who didn't very obviously pink up but I was still convinced they were pregnant .... they weren't. But I have had a few occasions where girls didn't noticeably pink up but were pregnant. Which is of no help to you whatsoever :)

I don't know much about phantom (pseudo?) pregnancy in cats or even if it's a 'thing' as with bitches, but mine that were not pregnant certainly did a good job of convincing me they were...apart from the absence of pinking up

lymorelynn likes this.
  8. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

Yeah ill just hang on, we will know one way or another soon lol...it is what it is, as long as she is happy and health thats all that matters x

lymorelynn likes this.
  9. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

10. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

Yes i was thinking phantom pregnancy too, never had one that has had one in the 22yrs of breeding, but you are always learning, and theres always a first. Its a strong possibility.

I would expect her to start to show n put on weight from now on if she is.
    Iv never had a girl not pink up and be pregnant so this has thrown me, if they haven't pinked up they have come back into season by the third week
    I guess time will tell x

gskinner123 likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Not a breeder, but have read a bit on phantoms....it was my first thought on this one. Especially this part:

12. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I've only had one phantom, she did all the usual things, including milk coming in.

lorilu likes this.
  13. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

So just checked her nips again, and their looking a little pinker, i dont know if u can see the pic as never posted one on here before, sorry its a bit blurry shes a fidget bum. Not looked for a few days so hopefully a bit more promising.

Attached Files:

14. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

That does look quite swollen but not rosy as you say. Has she had a litter before?

15. Lolanme

Lolanme PetForums Newbie

No this is her first mating, maybe its just how she is and how her body does pregnancy, im sure we will see how she progresses over the next few weeks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice