Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

to pee or not to pee in the crate??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Iwannadog, May 18, 2010.

1. Iwannadog

Iwannadog PetForums Junior

Hiya
    Our puppy will be coming home in 2 weeks!!!

I was planning on sectioning the crate into a smaller area, so there is only enough room for him to sleep on his blanket, but hubby thinks we should use the whole crate with an area we can also put newspaper down so he can 'go' on at night / when locked up when we are at work (which will not be straight away!) Then we wont have accidents on his bedding? :confused:::confused::

thanks guys :)

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

don't put newspaper down. it'll make him think its ok to wee in his crate. cover the whole crate with bedding. how big is his crate? i gave my cocker the whole crate when he was a pup which had a big bed in it, and he was fine. didn't toilet once in it.

3. Bexy

Bexy PetForums Senior

I personally didn't do this, I didn't want him to think it was ok to do his business in his crate sometimes and not others, kinda giving him mixed messages.

I just make sure I get up through the night to let him out for the toilet and during the day the most he has been locked in it is 1.5 hours but he always done his business just prior to going in.

4. Iwannadog

I didnt think it was a good idea either!

It's a large crate 36" i think. It just looks so big and he might look lost in it at first :lol:

5. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

dogs don't tend to mess where they sleep.

6. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

As everyone has said,its not such a good idea,it can give mixed messages and its best to get toilet training started so it goes in the garden.You will need to put puppy out in the night (set your alarm) for the first week or two(some pups take longer) until it can hold its wee for longer.
    Good luck with your new pup :)

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

some pups will go through the night straight away, mine did from 9 weeks of age. they are all different, but don't get up unless the pup is obviously asking to be let out for the toilet. basically don't take him out unless he's asking to.

8. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

How old will puppy be? It's unrealistic to expect a very young puppy to not need to go to toilet overnight or for extended time. :)

I did put newspaper in Rosie's crate overnight until she was about 3 and half months old (not really needed for that long though), and if she was left for extended time during the day, it didn't cause us a problem.

The idea was not to encourage Rosie to habitually use the crate as a toilet area, just to make provisions for the unavoidable times.

However, you'll find very few owners will agree with the way I used Rosie's crate, it worked for us, and she was house trained just on four months. :thumbup:

9. Iwannadog

thanks everyone :) I knew I was right :thumbup:

cant wait to tell OH now :D

Fingers crossed the house training goes smoothly

10. Iwannadog

Hurley will be 8 weeks when we get him. I think I'll play it by ear and see how it goes for the first few days. Not looking forward to setting the alarms though :eek6:

11. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

oh god yeah! or they will be expecting to go out at 4:30am all the time wee or not! :)

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine went thro the night from 9 wks as well.

1st night I made the crate into half bed half puppypad and she used the pad to wee and pooh. We noticed that by day, she didnt look to pooh indoors but we had to watch the waterworks.

OH suggested that she could be asking to go during the night and us not hearing her in her crate downstairs.

2nd night I took her crate upstairs still half and half, she asked to go out.

3rd night and thereafter, went thro the night.

Good luck with yours, they are all different but I am sure if you listen to your gut feelings, you will get it right x:thumbup:

13. Emmily

Emmily PetForums Member

Rosie was a little younger, 6 weeks old, very young. I decided I wasn't going to get up during the night, it was bad enough getting up at 7.00am :rolleyes: I kept that up for a couple of weeks. As my OH was getting more and more attached to Rosie, I very generously ;) let him take over letting Rosie out of her crate and into the garden, while I laid in to 7.30am, for about a week, but there was nothing to me to do at that time, so then I set my alarm for 8.30am, and that's the time the alarm is still set for. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice