Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To newbies:

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ad_1980, Aug 13, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Welcome into our lovely friendly abode :) We're hoping you'll be happy here.

While i appreciate you all wanting advice about buying a new pet, namely dogs in particular - can you stop being so defensive? You come on here and ask advice opinions. We give them to you.

While i appreciate there are questions that need answers what i would appreciate is if you actually listened to our feedback, said thank you and bye bye, and went away and REALLY thought about the situation. Not just post and then get defensive about the advice given. Its not like we're accusing you of rubbish we're just unhappy about what we have heard from yourselves.

If you can do this for us, without thinking we're a bunch of snobs who think we know everything about everything then i think everyone who reads this will actually agree with me and if they don't i couldn't care less.

Thank you.

thedogsmother likes this.
  2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

well said :D

3. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I agree with this, and I'm a newbie. :D

4. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Sorry:eek: I dont entirely agree.....whilst I believe that yes newbies who have asked for advice should be open to constructive critiscism I also think that we as long term members should bear in mind that newbies are just that "new" and sometimes we need to tread carefully rather than going full throttle at someone - at the end of the day it is their choice wether they take on the advice given and we should not make them feel pressured into agreeing with our advice -we do not know what is going on in peoples lives to make judgements etc and whilst yes we have the animals best interests at heart we must not forget that the human counts as well - and if they decide to not come on and ask for advice anymore for fear of being shot down, well that is not going to help the animals is it? Its a question of balance in my view;):):)

dipdog, Jazzy, FREE SPIRIT and 2 others like this.
  5. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Good post, Even good enough for rep! Lol

I agree with Suzy on this one!

6. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

Totally agree Suzy...well said....xxxx ;) :D

suzy93074 likes this.
  7. kath123

kath123 Guest

Im sorry but i think this thread is going to start another argument so is very pointless. :mad:

8. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yeah....I hope not:(

9. kath123

kath123 Guest

Well yeh so do i suzy, But i am not sure that newbies are going to feel very welcome reading the original thread to be honest. :(

10. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

A newbie becomes defensive because they feel their post has been misinterpreted and they're being attacked, not because they think we're a bunch know-it-all snobs.

It's an individual point of view that's being given that's all, based on our own experiences etc but that doesn't necessarily make it right, it's just what worked for that particular person. We're not all going to agree but by trying to shout the newbie down, will not get your point across at all, the he/she will become as aggressive and any advice will just be lost.

This sort of post though does not help matters.

#10 Dylan & Daisy, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  11. Dylan & Daisy

Have to say i kinda agree with you on this one kath x

12. FREE SPIRIT

Im a newbie and im feeling intimidated already :eek: ;) :001_tt2:

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hey i just stated what i felt. I'm not going to get defensive. Your own opinions.

See i can practice what i preach :)

14. kath123

kath123 Guest

You would of done even better if said "nothing at all" as not sure why this thread was started. :mad:

15. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yep thats true but you have been here a while, u know how it works you have your friends etc etc a newbie doesnt have that support so I think we just need to keep this in mind;):):)xxx

16. kath123

kath123 Guest

Me too Hun. :eek::eek:

17. Dylan & Daisy

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah ****takes a breath***** hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahhahahahhahh :001_tt2::001_tt2:

Good one Hunnie xxxxxxxxx

18. Oblada

Oblada Guest

TOTALLY AGREE
    it goes both ways...newbies dont have to treat the "old" ones like they are Godsent and take their words for it, we should all try to behave nicely and accept that we don't know everything about somebody based on a few lines in a forum...and get our views across without judging, pre-judging or offending others.

xx

19. FREE SPIRIT

lol...i'll behave oneday :rolleyes:.....nah i wont. :001_tt2: ;) :D

20. animallover111

excellent post suzy.....there has been a few threads in past few days that imo have got out of hand.....members have to be able to give constructive info...and not get personnal....i understand members getting frustrated.....but if i cant reply in a constructive way...i walk away from the thread.....i applaud anyone who can give constructive advise....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice