Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To move or not to move

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by The Wild Bunch, Jun 22, 2020.

1. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Hubby and I have been looking at rightmove for the last few days and are thinking of relocating to an entirely new area. My mum currently lives just round the corner from me and we are very close so that's something for us to consider.

I've been locked down now since 14th March and my neighbours on both sides are annoying, police are frequent visitors to one side and I think it's been even more amplified since we've been locked down. Hubby would like to live closer to work as his commute is fairly long. We can also get a lot more for our money if we move. We live in a 3 bed semi currently but could get a 4 bed detached for less money in the other area. I'm just not sure what to do. We moved house 5 times in 5 years when we first got together and I swore never to move again but I am not hugely attached to houses and don't get sentimental over them. On top of that, knife crime in this area is on the up and we had a 20 year old lad murdered last night over an alleged turf war :( A short distance away.
    I guess I'm just scared of doing the wrong thing and not being able to move back... The kids are well up for moving, especially as we will be more remote than we are now and the house we've seen is surrounded by fields, woodland and a park straight across the road. The dogs would love it. I know I'm rambling but I can't discuss it with anybody else yet

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Irritating neighbours are the worst it sounds like a move would be a good idea. Do you drive could you visit your mum ?

margy, Lurcherlad and The Wild Bunch like this.
  3. The Wild Bunch

Yes I do drive, as does she. She works in London so goes down on a Monday and back on a Thursday night. She's working at home at the moment but usually, I only see her at weekends so wouldn't make a massive difference in terms of actually seeing her as we speak daily on the phone. I think she would just be a bit put out if we went a fair distance away. I did mention it in passing on saturday and she agreed that the neighbours are horrendous. We've lived next door to them for 7 years and it's getting worse rather than better so it's not that we haven't given it time

#3 The Wild Bunch, Jun 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I think maybe your mum would see it’s a good move, if not for you then for your kids. Your current doesn’t sound like the best place for them to be growing up in, if you have a choice.

margy, Pixel, ForestWomble and 4 others like this.
  5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Sounds like it would be a good move into a nicer/safer area for you all, since both you and your mum drive it wouldn't be too different and you'll have quality time together still.

I couldn't be doing with irritating neighbours, too much stress when you should be comfortable in your home.

6. The Wild Bunch

thank you. It is definitely tiresome. Especially the shouting and carrying on at all hours. It keeps my daughter awake and other neighbours have complained. I’m just fortunate enough to be able to hear every single word rather than just the din :rolleyes::Arghh

will keep looking and see what we find. We’re hoping ours sells quick as there’s no other house like ours on this estate, we’re the only house on a corner plot

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sounds like there are more reasons to move than not tbh.

The neighbours are a good enough reason on their own (I’ve experienced them in the past :() but if the area is going downhill and you have kids, getting away sounds like the best bet to me.

Just make sure you research the new area and neighbours well! ;)

#7 Lurcherlad, Jun 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    margy, Pixel, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  8. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

I may be a bit biased
    But
    MOVE!

I'm swapping houses, hopefully, around the end of July and although it's a hard slog
    It's been so cathartic
    I'm downsizing from a 4 to a three and have no garage where I'm going to
    So
    the years of 'just in case' junk has all gone
    The hoarding, right from the children being little, has gone (eldest is 31 and I have 4 boys, so imagine the amount I had) just kept a few things that are very special to me
    Photographs have been found that I thought were long gone
    I've managed to get my head around WHY I'm like a magpie and having done the work myself vow never to be so again

Yes there's been tears, yes there's been worries and, to be frank, down right foot stamping tantrums
    And
    I'm only moving a mile!

But your so obviously unhappy where you are, that, like me, a fresh start could well be the making of you, happy, healthy, physically and mentally, more relaxed in your everyday life, singley and as a couple

Good luck with whatever you decide, but I vote move

9. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I agree with everyone else, I'd move.
    If you've found something great and sounds like you have with that house you described, go for it.

The Wild Bunch and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. The Wild Bunch

Thank you and good luck with your move. That's the only bit I hate, packing up and shifting it all. We don't keep 'stuff' particularly and I'm not one for ornaments etc. The only thing I collect are paper weights but the majority of them were never unpacked and remain in a box in the loft so are easily moved. Seen a Victorian renovation project that I really like, just need hubby to say yes now :)

11. The Wild Bunch

Went out for a long drive to the new area today and picked up some brochures for properties. Narrowed it down to 3.
    Had a long chat with my parents last night who have said they think it's a good idea and will be a fabulous lifestyle change for us, especially for the kids and the dogs too :)
    The local primary school for our son only has 58 pupils and the high school for our daughter has 500 so really not many at all.
    Waiting for the estate agent to come out and value ours to get it on the market. He has a good track record and houses he markets are usually always sold within a week!

Hoping the move also means I can have three or four hens :)

#11 The Wild Bunch, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    FAW56, westie~ma, PawsOnMe and 3 others like this.
  12. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Sounds like a very good move and a much better lifestyle. Just be careful with that extra room, that mum doesn't move in too ;)
    Good for weekend visits though :)

13. The Wild Bunch

No chance! :D:D

rona, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  14. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

How exciting good luck with the house hunting.

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Just caught up with this.
    Great you’ve decided to go for it.
    You only live once and it sounds so much better.
    I bet mum will love her visits.

16. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Sounds a good idea - though don't forget you do need to declare nuisance neighbours if you have had any official disputes with them, though the guidance is woolly if you've not had an actual dispute but they are noisy/troublesome, as those things are subjective. I only know this because my mum sold her house due to the neighbours and she was advised accordingly by her solicitor.

Enjoy your house hunt!

17. The Wild Bunch

I've never had any altercations or disputes with them. They are just noisy, have lots of parties (including during lockdown) end up drinking too much and fighting in the street or arguing until 5am amongst themselves. Other neighbours phone the police when the fighting starts and inevitably a couple of people are carted off only to return a few hours later when they've sobered up. We've lived here 7 years and it's always been the same. We bought this house from my grandparents who were in it for 5 years before they cracked and bought a detached house in a quiet estate :)

18. The Wild Bunch

Ok... house went on the market yesterday afternoon and sold this morning!
    We have no chain and our buyer is a cash buyer and is in rented on a rolling monthly contract.
    We have put an offer in on our dream home but another couple have also offered on it. We've both offered the asking price. Other buyers haven't sold their house yet so we are in a better position but the vendor has asked for the weekend to think it over. I'm really emotionally invested in this house and have cried over it a few times already so will be gutted if we don't get it.

It's a lot of work but the garden is amazing and there's so much potential to make an incredible family home. Fingers crossed on monday for an answer

#18 The Wild Bunch, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    westie~ma, margy, rona and 4 others like this.
  19. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Senior

Fingers crossed for you

20. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Wow! That was quick :)

Really hope it all works out and you get this house.

Maybe if not though it’s still worth selling yours and renting for a short while to get shot of the awful neighbours at least?

There might be a good deal on a holiday home somewhere at the moment?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice