Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To Kellyxxx and 7 month old pregnant lab

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Dundee, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I haven’t been on the forum for a few days and read with distress your post that your 7 month old had been mated by your dog. Like many on here I was horrified reading the thread, and in all honesty, cannot refer to this as an accidental mating as your bitch and dog should never have been allowed to be together while in season – the truth is that this is negligence. I am sure you love your dogs, but loving and being responsible are two different things.

You say that you will decide when it is confirmed that she is pregnant, but it will be some weeks before this can be done and it will be far worse for her if you then decide to use the mismate. Much better to do it straight away. I have no idea why your vet gave this advice (or if indeed they did), but if they did, then they need reporting to the RCVS. The idea that because a bitch has had a season it is natures way of saying they are ready to get pregnant is like saying a 9 / 10 girl is ready to have a baby because she has started her periods.

You also say that you want to know 100% but nothing can be guaranteed 100%. Yes there are risks with the mismate, but there are risks with anything in life. There are not inconsiderable risks when breeding from a health mature bitch and there are huge risks associated with breeding from a puppy (which is what your girl is). If she does survive the whelping, it is highly likely that she will struggle raising them and it is also quite likely that she will kill the pups. The risks associated with the mismate are far smaller than the risks associated with breeding from a health adult bitch, the risks of allowing a 7 month old puppy to continue with a pregnancy are horrendous.

Having said all that, you did say that you had a recent miscarriage which required hospitalisation. For that you have my heartfelt sympathies. I cannot help wonder though, if the loss you must be feeling over this is clouding your judgement and muddling your thinking. I appreciate you love your dogs and may well want puppies, but this is far to soon and the risks are far too great.

I would urge you get the mismate done asap and you will have plenty of time to learn about breeding if you decide you want to go ahead in the future.
    You will need to keep your dog and bitch apart throughout her season 100% you cannot rely on keeping an eye on them. Once your bitch is reaches 1 you will be able to get her hip and elbow scored. You will also need to get her eye tested annually, and I would also recommend you get her genetically tested for PRA (Optigen), CNM and if she is from show/pet lines, EIC. If you plan you use your dog as the stud, then he will need all these tests too, although I would urge you to choose a quality stud dog from an experienced breeder. All breeding should be done to improve on the bitch you have, and it is highly unlikely that a pet dog will be able to do that. In addition, you will have the support and knowledge of a stud dog who will be able to help you through the process of both mating and whelping.
    On a practical note, waiting until she is older will give you a chance to save some money for breeding in the future. If you think the mismate is expensive, it is nothing when compared to the cost of raising a litter.

sequeena and (deleted member) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice