Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

to get another puppy or not

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by molly moo, Apr 3, 2011.

1. molly moo

molly moo PetForums Member

my oh really wants to have another dog as molly is a mummy girl and wants me over him , he loves her to bits but i think he would like to have the bond i have with molly with another dog , we wouldnt be getting one till about december unless we seen one before .
    molly is 12 months old and she is my baby girl and i love her to bits , and is great with other dogs and loves being at my mums with max who is the same breed as molly not the same litter and he is 4 . my only worry is how molly will be with another dog 24hrs a day . and i would really like to try for a baby .

2. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

I would say yes, getting a second dog was the best thing we did, they are best friends now.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

If you've got the resources, money and time for 2 dogs, and you think Molly would benefit from a friend, then why not? What breed is Molly, out of interest? I suppose it depends on how soon you're wanting to try for a baby- if it's soon, you may want to wait until said baby is a couple of years old to avoid settling a new dog in, and then disturbing routine with a new baby, but if that's still a little way off, and you can settle a dog in first, then before should be fine.

If it's just a dog to bond with that your OH wants, there is nothing to say he would get that in a new dog either. If he was to take a more active role in the care Molly- ie, doing the walks/feeding/grooming/playing for a while, I'm sure Molly would bond with him too.

4. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Echoing what others have said. If have the time and money for another dog, it'd be lovely for Molly to have a friend.

The only concern I'd have is if you want a baby in the near future and are thinking of getting a puppy. I've heard horror stories about people who have puppies and babies at the same time as the work load is enormous. If you were thinking of an older dog though, I say go for it.

5. molly moo

molly does spend most of the time with me am the one that brushes her baths her etc and feeding/ walks that why she has a great loving bond with me and to be honest i do spoil her we have lots of cuddle time etc . he does help out and isnt lazy and you can see how much he does care about her and she does show that she loves him , molly is a bichon , molly is great with babies etc as am a nursery nurse and i have took her in to work a few times from being 8 weeks old and loves playing with children on the park and is great with my friends children so thats not a problem .
    we have seen a 2 year old bichon who owners are looking for a new home as the owner is really ill and cant give the dog the care they require. he is a boy and great with other dogs . we went to see him and we took molly and she went over to him and he let her pull his ears etc am so tempted to go and get him , as this would give us time to settle him in and give him the love and care he needs . my oh loved him too .

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Oh sorry I wasn't meaning to sound like I thought your OH doesn't do anything to help with the care of Molly, sorry if it came across that way.

That boy Bichon sounds ideal, you know you want to ;)

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Maybe the boy bichon is fate ;)

Echo what everyone else has said - if you have enough time and resources, go for it!!

8. molly moo

dont worry i didnt see it like that ,

we have just phoned and we are going to have pick him up tuedsay , as i want to get prepared and get a few bits for him and my baby girl am going to book the rest of the week to spend with my babies x

9. SixStar

SixStar Banned

That's brilliant news, I hope all goes well. Don't forget to introduce Molly and the new boy on neutral territory if you're not doing a meet for the two of them first. Well done for rescuing :D

10. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I think they'll bond beautifully and when you do have a baby they'll still have each other to keep them occupied so won't feel left out. ;)

Before this lot I had a male staffie and female jrt - they were inseparable and when she passed he went downhill fast, having lost his best friend and eventually I had him pts as he just didn't get better. He was never ill while she was around though. :(

Must have some pics of the lil love birds though, lol. ;)

11. molly moo

he is prefect he is very calm and layed back , which is great he let molly do what ever she wanted to him and let her play with his toys so i think its a prefect match as molly likes to be the boss even if she is tiny . he had all his jabs been sprayed and i have all the background information i need , on the same food as molly which is a little weird but great news for me . so off to pets at home to get him a bed , toys etc

12. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Good luck with the new arrival! :)

13. molly moo

have just ordered a load of stuff for paddy and molly to pick up tomorrow from pets at home after work . x

14. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Congratulations on your almost new addition
    I think its meant to be :001_smile:

15. molly moo

thanks you xx

16. GeorgeBick

GeorgeBick PetForums Junior

My advice: Go for it :D ... if you have the time and the money why not ?

Just check that your breed of dog isn't known for jelousy because if you buy a puppy its going to need alot of TLC.. im four days in now doing some 'TLC' :p

best of luck to you and molly :)

17. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

18. BeagleOesx

BeagleOesx PetForums VIP

Hope all goes well when you pick Paddy up, he sounds lovely. When you have picked him up it would be best to take them both for a walk and play somewhere neutral before taking him into your home.

Look forward to seeing pics of your two fur babies.

19. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Really pleased to hear it went so well, and wish you the luck that we have had with Ruby, sometimes the timing and dog available is just, ours couldnt have worked out better if we had planned it! :)

20. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Pictures are in order, I feel!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice