UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you balance the needs of the cats you already have, with wanting another?

I have two amazing 10 month old kittens, brothers and very close to each other. Inseperable. We have been talking about adding another cat or kitten to the family, we could afford to and want to rescue another and give them a loving home.

But - Im worried about how our cats would react to a newcomer. It might be too much for them when they have been used to getting all the fuss and space to themselves.

Is it selfish to want to rescue another when it might effect the lives of the happy pair we have now?

G

·
If your kittens are all up to date with their vaccinations then you could ask rescue centers if you could bring one or both along to see how they get along with cats.

If you search for a cat that is used to living with others then it would probably be successful.

Also, being so young they're extremely likely to take to another cat. I'd recommend getting a neutered one though just so the active hormones don't mess with the "balance".

If you can afford it then go for it. So many needing homes and you'll change that cat's life for good :D Where do you live? Can we help you find one????!!!

Edit:
Just wanted to add that cats live in colonies naturally, so as long as they all have enough space and options to get away from each other if they want, then they're designed to live amongst each other rather than alone :)

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
We were in the same boat with 2 coonies. We got another little mite and they all get on together now. :)

They All could be a lot worse off in this world :( They learn to adapt plus we gave Berty (the wee mite) a good home as he was stray/feral. All good so far :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are all up to date with vaccinations, fleas, worms, neutered the lot!

Next door have a cat, one looks on it with suspicion and slight interest. The other chases it away on sight. Though they both sit in next door's garden taunting the poor thing all day :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
If your kittens are all up to date with their vaccinations then you could ask rescue centers if you could bring one or both along to see how they get along with cats.

If you search for a cat that is used to living with others then it would probably be successful.

Also, being so young they're extremely likely to take to another cat. I'd recommend getting a neutered one though just so the active hormones don't mess with the "balance".

If you can afford it then go for it. So many needing homes and you'll change that cat's life for good :D Where do you live? Can we help you find one????!!!

Edit:
Just wanted to add that cats live in colonies naturally, so as long as they all have enough space and options to get away from each other if they want, then they're designed to live amongst each other rather than alone :)
I mentioned id like to get a companion for Thomas to my vet the other week. He said "cats are naturally solitary animals so consider it very carefully" :confused:
Whenever I see nature programmes it seems Lions are often in packs, or "prides"... I did think he may be talking nonsense.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
According to the vet today those that feed raw diet are very silly and not giving them the cats the right nutrients and cats are more likely to have parasites and get poisoning. :rolleyes:

Told me Oz had gingivitus spelt wrong I know, I said he's teething, then she back tracked;)

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
According to the vet today those that feed raw diet are very silly and not giving them the cats the right nutrients and cats are more likely to have parasites and get poisoning. :rolleyes:

Told me Oz had gingivitus spelt wrong I know, I said he's teething, then she back tracked;)
Ahem*new vet needed* ahem :rolleyes:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update!

Going to look at a 4 month old male kitten this weekend. He was in the rescue with his two brothers but he kept being left behind when they got rehomed as he is quite timid.

Hoping Im not asking for trouble adding a 4 month old male to two 8/9 month old brothers? Fingers crossed!

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,581 Posts
Whenever I see nature programmes it seems Lions are often in packs, or "prides"... I did think he may be talking nonsense.
Lions are the only cat of any size that naturally lives in social groups. Feral cats will associate sometimes if it benefits them, but they are not naturally social.

Having said that, at 10 months your cats would probably accept a kitten fairly easily - I'd look for one that's 6 months or so. After the 'so cute' stage, but clearly younger and smaller. Also look for one that's neither timid nor aggressive.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Just to play devil's advocate, I am pretty sure I read in a Vicky halls book that the majority of problem cases she deals with revolve around multi-cat households. There are lots of people on this forum who have exceptionally happy and contented multi-cat households but that state isn't a given. It would be a real shame if you went from having 2 very happy cats to 3 unhappy cats - and there is a chance that could happen.

·
Bad Joke Generator
2,830 Posts

Oz??? hold on have I missed something Jo?? have you gone and got a new fur baby and not told me!! :eek: :hand:

·
Don't do nothing. Do something.
7,159 Posts
Um - if you have one cat that wants to chase the cat next door then I am guessing he is a dominant character. If you add a timid character to your house then be very careful that he doesn't get in to the habit of running away and don't let the dominant one chase him. It is very easy for a smaller timid cat to get bullied. My biggest cat is compartively timid and it is hard keeping the dominant one under control. We work at it every single day and expect to do so for another year or so until the younger uppity one is a bit more stable (he's a teenager, he'll get over it). Our third cat doesn't seem to care about the pecking order, just about particular toys - try and get one of those if you can!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I totally understand the worries about upsetting the balance, and in particular introducing a timid cat to the mix. Im worried about all these things too so I intend to introduce them very slowly and carefully.

To be fair the only time I have seen them chasing next doors cat, is when it has been agressive to one of mine, the other brother then comes to chase it off. Its funny as its the less dominant one who does the chasing. The 'top cat' seems to back off quickly. They do sit in the tree and stare it out but the chasing is only when it tried to trap them up the tree and swiped as they came down. My boys are like Of Mice and Men, the smart, wiley dominant one who isnt at all agressive and the big ungainly dope who follows him around for protection :)

I guess one of the conditions of taking on another, is that I could give it back if things are desperatly not working out. Thats not an easy decision to make, and wouldnt be taken lightly and after a lot of time. But its worth a go I think. We would love to give another little rescue a home, I do feel selfish in some ways. Thats why i asked for others opinions on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.