Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To crate or not to crate?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Vikegirl, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

Hi all

We're preparing our house for our new puppy who will be arriving on the 6th September. She's a mini schanuzer. The breeder told us he "doesn't believe in using crates" however most of our doggy friends have said they are a godsend, as long as they are used correctly, ie as the pups safe space, not as a punishment and absolutely not for the children to pester her while she's in it.

What do you think?

2. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Personally i think they're brilliant. I have a 19 week old pup and have crated him from the beginning (having never used one before with previous dogs) and he loves it. It's just his den, a safe haven for him to go to whenever he wishes to be alone or just nap. They are also great for toilet training, i havent had a problem with night sleeps since he was 10 weeks old :D

They are not for everyone, do whatever feels right for you and your pup.

Good Luck!

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

It really is a personal choice and depends on your life style.
    My 2 love theirs :)
    They are great for keeping them secure over night and giving them their own space during the day.
    I wouldn't be with out mine. - they are fab for when on holiday or visiting friends they have a safe and familiar place to go.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I crate trained both of my boys and i think they are great. But i do know many people have successfully trained and reared puppies without using one.

I think a dog should only be in a cage/crate when there is no one home to supervise the pup, other than that they should be out and about.

I only used mine when my boys were puppies, and when i left them alone together until they were about 3/4 (one in the crate, one out). I dont use one at all anymore.

5. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Both my two love their crates , they often take themselves off into their crates in the day just to get away from my Grandchildren ... sometimes I wish I could join them :D ;)

edited to add , the kidlets dont annoy the dogs, they are just mega noisy sometimes and the dogs crates are in their own room that the kidlets dont go into

#5 Mese, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  6. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

My little girl loves her crate she has had it from the start when we got her at 10 weeks, the breeder used a crate too. She goes in whenever she likes and she has her food and water in there with her bed and a teddy to cuddle and a chew. She is only shut in there at night or if we go out in the day, which is rare. It's her own space where she knows she will be safe and undisturbed. Brilliant for helping toilet training.
    We also have a small one in the car for safe travelling. It is good for them to get used to a crate in case they ever have to go to the vets for a stay as they will be already used to being in one and so causes less stress for them.
    I never used one for my previous dog but so glad I decided to give it a try this time and wouldn't be without it.

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

nothing wrong with them - and they come in especially good if you have to put her in the boot of your car while driving ;)

8. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Crate, crate, crate!!! There is no other way. Well, there is, if you want accidents all over your house!

9. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Ahh a mini schnauzer! i picked up our mini schnauzer pup two weeks ago!

They are super super gorgeous dogs!

I say crate, we used one from the very begining with Bella and she has been dry all night since day one ( i did take her out at night if she cried though!) Its her safe place to get away from my 3 year old and when im out and shes in there i know she is safe and not chewing my kitchen up!!

Good luck with your pup!

Decided on a name yet?

:)

Here is a pic of my daughter and Bella last weekend.....

[​IMG]

10. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

Awww, lovely. I'll try to attach a pic. Her name.....is Boudicca. :D We are historical reenactors, so all our pets have appropriate names. Obviously she will need to grow into the name, so she'll be Boo for short. ;)

Attached Files:

11. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I'm with the craters!

My pugs were both crate trained. They house train quicker in my opinion and dont create chewing habits so less destruction.

That and you can enforce sleep on them if you live in a busy household, which i do! If it wasnt for the crate they would never have stopped.

My boy is now 6 months and i have just removed his and he now wants to sleep with my other pug in a normal bed but he is now reliably house trained (except when it rains!!) and not destructive.

good luck with your new baby :)

12. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I've got 3 lhasa's and a pyrenean mountain dog. Until recently I didn't own a crate but due to a couple of my dogs now being in shows I decided to get a couple as we have to have them at the shows.

When the the two little ones arrived, we set one up just to check that it was the right size... bit too big really for a lhasa but at least they can move around... a lot lol. Well as soon as it was up, the pyrenean who was 15 weeks at the time decided to go in all by himself and he lay down and quickly went to sleep lol.

I've never used a crate at night for any of them until Monty, the pyr was getting big enough to pinch stuff from the worktop at night. It was only due to this that he now sleeps in one at night but he's still in the kitchen with the rest of them although they are loose and free to roam.

When it's time to go to bed, Monty goes into his crate by himself, he likes it in there :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice