Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To Crate or Not to Crate??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Becci-in-Hull, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Becci-in-Hull

Becci-in-Hull PetForums Junior

Just wondering peoples views really.

I personally have never used one and I always thought it rather cruel, however after reading peoples posts and looking at crate training, my opinion has somewhat changed and crating just seems another option with our furry little friends and seems to have alot of benifits.

I personally use a dog bed. I big plastic one with a big cushion in it for comfort for Marley, however, Harmony will absolutly not, never or will sleep in a bed! I have tried everything from blankets, towels, cushions, plastic beds, matirial beds but she hates them all! The only thing she will have is a dog mat (like the mats you wipe your shoes on) not padded or anything.:eek:

Anyway, thats what she likes so thats what she has. Also, both dogs are in the kitchen. One at on side of the table and one at the other side although sometimes Marley goes over to Harmony for a cuddle on her mat. lol.

2. foxy roxy

foxy roxy PetForums Member

if your dog is ok when left and at night and you can trust her i dont think you really need to cage her but my dog was distructive and peed and pood in kitchen all the time. i got a cage and it worked for roxy she feels secure in there and it is also for her own safty when we are out at work ect and she dont chew things she shouldnt and when we come home we know that there is not going to be any damage to the house.

3. The place where I work uses them as a "time out" - not sure I totally agree with that, but my brothers Husky used to sleep in a crate, he'd go in and out when ever he wanted, think he felt safe in there :)

4. Becci-in-Hull

Yeah I can see the idea for stopping the house been trashed when you are at work, etc.

I must admit I am considering a crate for marley as he seems to like to chew. But whilst I say that I kind of dont lick the idea of him being unable to move around and go for a trot if wants to.

I was supprised to see that he had pooed on his bed this morning to:eek: I thought the didnt like to mess the area they sleep in!?

Also if people cold post up pics of there dogs actually in the crate I would appreciate it.:smilewinkgrin:

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

My dogs are all crated for housetraining and even now they'll go in there to sleep or when they just want to get away from the craziness. I don't think I have any pictures I'll see if I can dig them out for you.

6. Pamela

Pamela Guest

Holly loves her crate she is in there now having a bit of peace and quiet, she goes in there herself as she sees it as her own space.

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My dogs love there crates too.

I think I have posted this before. Someone used one of my dogs as a stud on their bitch. They kept a pup. When the pup was 12 weeks it was a few weeks before christmas I had a phone call of the woman she was distraught. She had been late night shopping with her 2 teenage children her husband worked the night shift.

When she got home the older bitch came running as she opened the kitchen door but there was no sign of the pup. She went into the kitch and found the pup hanging of one of the door handles to the kitchen cupboard. What had happened they don't know but she had obviously jumped up at the surfaces for something and had caught her collar over the handle. Unfortunately she was not quite big enough to reach the floor with her back feet and she had strangled herself. If she'd have been in a crate she would still be here today.

8. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Cheeko didn't get crated until he was 4 or 5. We thought he would hate it and cry to get out as the vet said he wasn't allowed to sleep on the bed anymore after injuring his neck but he loved it. All we have to say is 'into bed' and he goes in. This will be my first time crate training a puppy but I want puppy to sleep in one aswell just to make it fair on Cheeko even though they won't sleep in the same room. I thought they were cruel to begin with but now I think there great.

9. Becci-in-Hull

The thing Im finding is that Marley climbs under the table where noone can get to him. He really seems to like been away and hiding.

Maybe this means that a crate might be just the thing for him, but Im unsure because he also sprawls out in his bed or on Harmonys mat.

If I was to buy a crate what sort of size would I need to get? He is a puppy at the moment but hes a Labrador so is gonna end up rather big, so I wouldnt want to be replacing crates every 5 mins.

Also how do you guys set the crate out when the dogs are house training? Do you feed and water them in there to?

10. jlushh

jlushh PetForums Member

The puppys in a crate at the moment and so was Maddie when she was a pup..
    I put them in there so they don't chew everything whilst I'm in bed or out.
    She's been a suprisingly good pup house training wise, never pooped in the house, and only a couple of wee's..I wish I could leave her out of her cage at night as I don't think she likes her but it's just for her safety (electrical wires etc) and my house!

And I didn't feed/water them in there either cos she only goes in there to sleep (reluctantly)

11. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

Never used a crate, for no real reason other than we don't need one.

I don't think they are cruel (when used responsibly of course). Where I grew up we had a large amount of land for our dogs and sometimes the "dog in a cage" image is a psychological hurdle of sorts for me, but I know that those who use them see them more like a den and private space than anything more restrictive.

12. mag&me

mag&me PetForums Junior

We wouldn't have been without our crate with our last pup. I think it went a long way to helping with toilet training and settling at night.

13. Oblada

Oblada Guest

This issue has been discussed MANY times - there is sticky on it now, may be worth having a look!;)

I personally wouldnt use a crate, I dont like the idea of any animal being caged and will never own one that needs to be caged (rabbits and the like).
    My boy has a tent like crate for the night, its his den, its always opened.
    I dealt with messing and chewing without the need of a crate (wasnt easy but consistent leadership usually gets you there).

I respect the people who feel they need a crate, as long as the dog is not in it for too long (say 3 hours stretch should be max) and even better if its only a temporary puppy-time thing...

Otherwise can I just say that no dog should be left unattended with his collar on..thats clearly a dangerous thing to do (obviously more dangerous without a crate but still)...

14. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I never used a crate with my older dog who is almost 6 but decided to with Pippa. One of the reasons I decided to was to allow my older dog some 'me time' away from the little pipsqueak! :D Also to housetrain her and keep her safe when I'm doing housework etc & can't keep an eye on her.

She spends all night in there & also for little snatches of sleep throughout the day and although she doesn't voluntarily go in to sleep neither does she cry about it and just settles down to sleep. I also feed her in her crate and her fresh water is in there too. When she is out I leave the door open and she goes in to have a drink then comes back out.

Mind you, all this could change - I only bought her home on Sunday! :)

15. Becci-in-Hull

I dont put collars on in the house either, however Harmony does wear a flea collar and as soon as Marley is 12 weeks old he will have a flea collar to.

Ive also known of accidents with dogs and collars, etc and its heartbreaking.

As for the crate, Im still undecided because Ive got to think of Harmony and also my daughter with hygine if the dog tinkles in the morning and Elizabeth goes running through it. (doubt it will happen but you never know) but on the same hand if someone locked me in a large box I wouldnt like it and I think pets are just that and should live amongst us.:idea: Just so many pros and cons.:cursing:

At the moment though Marley seems to always be in his bed and doesnt seem to show much care about being part of the "pack" so to speak, so I really dont want him incouraged to hide away even more. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice