Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To coat or not to coat...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by unltddesign, Nov 27, 2012.

1. unltddesign

unltddesign PetForums Newbie

Hey All,

We just moved back from Spain and both of our dogs look freeezing when outside, we bought them both little jackets to keep them warm but since then lots of people have said we shouldn't put coats on the dogs as it is bad for them. What are everyones thoughts on this?

I bought Milo this one, he looks so cool in it haha - Camo Dog Jacket/

2. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

If your dog is shivering the you are doing the right thing putting a coat on it. If it isn't effected by the cold then don't bother. I imagine a dog who has only lived in warmer climates is freezing over here.

People have strong opinions on the subject. Just do what's right for you and smile and ignore the haters :D

3. unltddesign

Yeah I thought that too but when they start saying it damages your dogs ability to grow its own fur I got really worried :mad:

4. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Never heard that one before. It is a fact that central heating has a massive effect on a dogs coat. So perhaps you could tell them they should be sitting in freezing cold houses to avoid damaging their dog's ability to grow fur :p

#4 metaldog, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

So is it your company you are advertising the coat for??:rolleyes:
    Its usually easy to tell if your dog needs a coat. If they are shivering then get them a coat!;) I have 3 teeny dogs and only one needs a coat, although I expect my new pup will need bundling up for his first winter too.

6. unltddesign

No not my company, I know the owner so thought I'd stick their link on my sig to help get their name out there.

Thats a good point about the central heating, I feel like going back to the other forum where they said it was so bad and saying that to them!

7. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I have whippets italian greyhounds and chihuahua's and all wear coats if it is verycold or very wet. The chihuahua's are long coated but even they wera coats when it is very wet as it has been lately more to keep them dry rather than warm.

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

A few years ago I took Fidget into a local pet store to try coats on her and a couple walking past commented (so that I could hear) that it was ridiculous buying a coat for a Border Collie.

My reply went something like "Yes thank you for your input but you might like to know she's 15 years old, lives in a centrally heated house, can't move as fast as she did out on walks and her coat is thinning due to old age".

No further comment from them and they shot out of the store rather quickly.

9. unltddesign

I know what you mean, I've heard the "ridiculous" line quite a few times when we have had jackets on our dogs in winter. I guess from an outsiders point of view it can look a bit silly, like you are dressing them up for fun - they don't see the dog stood their shivering from the cold when they are not wearing it though eh

10. Jazmine

Jazmine PetForums VIP

I have a coat for my collie Mira. She really feels the cold, gets very shivery, so in winter, when it's frosty she wears her coat. I also put it on her when we went camping over Easter weekend. There was snow on the ground so I thought it best to wrap her up. Nothing wrong with that!

11. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

About 20 years ago I had an English Setter. He was young at the time, and kept getting mysterious illnesses. Couldn't put my finger on what was wrong, and I kept taking him to a very nice, but elderly and gruff vet.

The vet asked me: 'Do you live in a centrally heated house?' I replied yes.
    He asked: 'Do you put on a coat when you go out?' I replied, of course!

He then told me that my dog needed a coat for the same reason I did, and put his strange illnesses down to that. I must admit, I got Bodie a coat, and he became a very sturdy dog who was hardly ever at the vets.

Lesson learned. In cold weather all my dogs since have worn coats!

12. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

My 4 YO golden does and my 3 YO lab doesn't. Its a PITA when the golden gets really sodden and because he has a skin condition he is prone to getting itchy when damp and is more likely to cause himself sore spots. Plus a coat reduces the contact of possible allergens with his body.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine wear coats as they are hanging around outside a lot and can get cold.

Years ago coats did not really exist except for lap dogs and all the dogs survived very well. My dogs were kennelled at night and never had a problem with cold.

14. DT

DT Banned

Mine tend to wear then at night when it is colder then normal!
    We never walk them in them though as they do run a lot and go into water.
    That said my eldest is now 12 and has lost a lot of muscle and body fat so is looking scrawny so may start to take him out in one depending on the cold.

15. Charleigh

Charleigh PetForums VIP

I have jumpers for my cocker spaniel pup and when she's walking I'm going to get her a waterproof coat.

I wasn't going to bother, I mean she's fluffy, all nice and warn indoors. But we took her to the vets and she shivered the way to the car from the car to the vets from the vets to the car and then from the car to home and she was in my arms the whole time (only shivered when we was outside) So I bought her a jumper and now she doesn't shiver :) it depends on the dog.

I always feel cold so I have underfloor heating, blankets everywhere and I always have the heating full blast in the car, her breeder had kept her under a heat lamp aswell, so no wonder she feels chilly when we go out.

16. TheMouse

TheMouse Banned

Deffo in the coat camp!

17. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Yes, but houses either did not have central heating, or at least no double glazing so the heating didn't work so well. I can remember snow on the INSIDE of my sash windows and having to crack the ice in the sink in the mornings. This was in the early '80s!

Dogs, and humans, were a lot more hardy then. :D I doubt whether my son would be able to survive in the conditions I did! :eek:

18. TheMouse

TheMouse Banned

Agreed, just because dogs had to endure being cold in the bad old days, doesn't mean they have to now. Kids used to be sent up chimneys, but we now know that to be cruel. ;) :) Times move on!

19. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Not necessarily that dogs should have to endure being cold, but more that they, like us, got more used to the conditions. We put on more clothes to keep warm, they grew thicker coats.

Sometimes I think it would do my son good to learn how to cope with the cold - he can't seem to figure out that he should put a jumper on when it's cold rather than turn the heating up! :D

20. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Hattie had her own thick fluffy coat when she came home from living in kennels that was just starting to shed (in june) and as we've a nice warm house its never regrown and her coat stays the same year round.

Do what's best for your dog and don't worry what others think, like with most things there's always someone who'll disagree.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice