Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To clip or not?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by rotts05, May 9, 2010.

1. rotts05

rotts05 PetForums Member

I have a 7 month old Lhasa Apso x JRT, I can't decide whether to have her clipped or not. She doesn't 'need' it as such as although her fur is long it isn't uncontrollable. I will add a picture of her to show how she looks.
    I do have to trim her fringe and she collects all sorts on her tummy when out walking. She looks scruffy most of the time but her fur is very soft, when I brush her she is lovely and fluffy for about half an hour then she's just scraggy again :)

I just wondered what people who groom or have their dogs groomed would do with her? Keep her scruffy or have her clipped?

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z318/raggies1/newpics037.jpg

2. rotts05

rotts05 PetForums Member

#2 rotts05, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  3. chestersmum

chestersmum PetForums Senior

I think she's lovely just as she is

4. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Awwww I think she looks cute how she is.
    Really lovely

5. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I think she looks lovely as she is, if she was mine i wouldn't clip! :thumbup:

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

personally, i love clipped dogs and if she were mine, i'd clip her, but it is a very personal choice. whatever suits you. :)

7. Gretta

Gretta PetForums Newbie

If I were you I wouldn't! I don't think she needs it at all! :)

8. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I think it depends on your dogs lifestyle in all honesty....Fizz isn't a prob for me becuse her coat is very short but Penny has such long fur and it grows so quickly, I had made the desicion not to cut her at all unless it was in her eyes but when I realised how dirty and irritated she'd get when I took her through the woods or on the beach I changed my mind for her own comfort...she gets wet and filthy not to mention coverd in twis...sand..seaweed and god knows what else...it was either cut her or bath her daily which isn't good for them....If you're happy that you can maintain your pooches fur with no irritation to her and you're happy with the way she keeps herself clean then I wouldn't bother but it's your choice....I would recomend cutting her if she's in a position where she can pick up too much muck and you cant keep her clean though...for her own comfort more than anything.
    xx

9. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I'd keep her the way she is but I love scruffy dogs. You could get her clipped down a bit but she's gorgeous like that

10. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I love a good scruffy mutt... she is delicious... I vote leave unclipped :thumbup:

11. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

When i have clipped mine in the past, I've never taken it as short as groomers do, I tend to leave it scruffy length lol

If you do decide to get a little trim done, you might be better off doing it yourself unless you want it really short... almost shaved. I've yet to find a groomer who actually listen to what is actually asked for :rolleyes:

12. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

She looks adorable, I'd leave her like that if she was mine.

13. snoopydo

snoopydo PetForums VIP

I'm a Dog Groomer...Some of us Do listen to Clients needs :)

You don't have to have Dogs Clipped to make them look neater a Slight Trim maybe, but I really do love your Dogs look..I too love the ''Scruffy but Cute'' look....Maybe a Trim around her Toe's, And in the Corners of the Eyes as The long hair can irritate the eyes, ''you can do this without it looking as though it's actually been cut off''..Oh and some long haired breed owners ask for their Bottoms to be Trimmed as they get messy with all the hair when they go to the loo.

14. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Dont clip gorgeous girl :thumbup:

15. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

I have learnt how to clip on my own with the help from a member on here and a few other resorces and in all honesty I've found it a really easy thing to learn, 4 legged client depending of course, had one yeaterday who just wouldnt sit still whatever I did, sooo hyper, but i managed it and thanked the loard i only did it for friends lol. It was more shaping than takng he fur off as it sees to be with most. Penny is very difficult to do though, her fur is like sheeps wool and rather than growing in legnth it thicknes really quickly....any tips to make her more comfy,she just looks like a ball of fluff....would cutting her whilst she's wet and straight help do you think? xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice