Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

to chip or not ?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by brackenhwv, May 25, 2010.

1. brackenhwv

brackenhwv PetForums Senior

went on a microchipping course on Sunday and passed, I'm involved in ferret rescue and it's to do them mainly, however picked up a copy today of Dogs Monthly and there was a aritcal on microchipping. a couple of dogs had develope cancer and the chips were found imbedded in the tumours, the site of the chip implant is the same for vaccine injections and they seem to suggest there maybe a link to this or that the chips themselves may cause the cancer. A couple of animals also had other problems which may have been caused by wrongly implanted chips and chips had moved from original site. at the course there were no indications of this, but I suppose as they were run by the company selling them I wouldn't think they might mention this, they did say about chips traveling so you should scan all over the body and that there would be a small amount of bleeding. the artical also says thet it's only vets that should do it. we are only allowed to chip cats, dogs, small animals, not allowed to do horses, birds or repitles.
    So do you chip or not ?

dobermum likes this.
  2. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

Hi there - great discussion.:thumbup:
    I've always been against having my pets microchipped for various reasons, but unfortunately, it's against the law where I live, and having them microchipped and dog licensed etc., is mandatory. If I didn't need to have them chipped then I most definately would not do it. I am against it, especially since most peeps think that it gives us all reassurance if our dog goes missing and is found and we can get our furkids back, which is not the case - a complete and utter load of schekter! Another guff scheme really by the Government, or those who don't give a toss about dog owners' rights.

Good luck!

Best wishes.

D

3. brackenhwv

we were told that it wil be compulsory soon here, the atricle also mentioned about acouple of dogs that ended up pts as the scanner used didn't pick up the chip, another had moved or some don't bother. whenever I've taken a lost ferret to the vet they never offer to scan I always have to ask them the likelyhood that its been chipped is small but you never know, so makes me think who else bothers ? I turned up with my dog who is older told the vet the story about her but for all he knew i could have nicked her and she could have been carrying a chip maybe scanning should be compulsary as any animal isn't going to re united with it's owner unless it's scanned .

4. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

All dogs are different. My chugs was ok but Onnen bled like a stuck pig. They seem to be ok after it though.

5. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Hi, my dogs and cats are chipped. My older cat developed a tumour at the injection site earlier this year. When they operated they told me they saw her chip and it was still in place, so it was definately the injection that caused it.

My other cat went missing on the 4th May, not at all like him, so unless he is dead, we are still waiting to see if the microchip actually does work - fingers crossed.

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

All the cats and Henrick are chipped (hes tatooed as well) but my last dogs chip moved all the way from his neck to halfway down his leg.

7. dobermum

You should check some of the topics on here that have been in the headlines etc., regarding owners who have had their dogs stolen or dog lost. Been found by someone else, but chip is not proof of ownership, so finders keep dog, owners lose out and are devastated. It is utterly horrific! I am now even further against the chipping having read the story above from you about health problems caused by it, and just reading the other posters stories.
    Thanks for sharing!:thumbup:

D x

#7 dobermum, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. brackenhwv

so if the chip isn't proof of ownership, whats is ? What would you need / heaps of photos of the animal , papers seems the chip isn't such a great thing then ? I feel it's like the passport for horses, a waste of paper and a money making scheme for the goverment

9. dobermum

possibly receipt/proof of purchase - check out some of the older threads on here (don't have them to hand soz) but it'd break your heart really - I just can't bear to read somea them but it will give you an idea just how (I feel anyway) worthless the microchip actually is.

D

10. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

My brothers cat went missing and 6 months later they got a call after the cat had been taken into the vets so got him back. My dogs are ex-racers so have tattooed ID, but i still opted to get them chipped as with only 7days in a stray pound i think you need to give yourself the best chance of getting them back and collar ID can easily be lost/removed. I get the chips checked while at the vets to see if there still operational or have moved. I've read that people who are chip practitioners often have more experience of chipping than vets, because it tends to make up more of their daily role than a vet. I did get mine done at the vets mainly as it was convenient at the time.

Articles often have a bias depending on the authors view and while there certainly are risks of complications when you think about the millions of animals are chipped worldwide it would be interesting to know how big these risks actually are? The combined contraceptive pill in humans for example is widely used yet some women can develop blood clots/DVT, having been one of those i'm also aware of those that weren't so lucky and died. However the risk is fairly low and i'm sure everyone would feel the benefits outweigh the risk for the rest of the population, so i think you have to look at these things objectively.

11. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

There's no doubt that microchips re-unite (as so save) many more dogs than those that suffer the exceedingly rare complications. I am hopeful that it will become mandatory in the UK soon.

There is no government involvement.

The latest generation of microchips are less prone to migration than the older ones. Chip migration is primarily a factor of implanter skill in correctly locating the chip into the sub-cutaneous fat layer.

Compulsory scanning on first introduction by all canine professional (vets, boarding kennels, dog wardens, etc.) is a goal of VGS. Hopefully it wil be incorporated into any future legislation even if only as a voluntary code of conduct.

I can't see they be better off without a chip. Chips do re-unite a great many lost dos and, additionally, act as a deterrent against dog theft. Chips are not proof of ownership any more than a vehicle license plate is proof of car ownership but it does make tracing a dog a lot easier.

12. giasrose

giasrose PetForums Newbie

omg, this makes me mad and breaks my heart. all 4 of my pets r done bc i cnt thnk of anythng worse than them getting away and nvr seeing thm again.
    i did not knw it ws risky
    or evn bad
    i wna cry :frown::(

13. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Tattooing!

I can't remember the exact law, but because dogs are considered 'property' visible marking is considered proof of ownership. Microchips are not visible so don't count whereas tattoos are.

14. Olly's Mum

Olly's Mum PetForums Member

I have my olly microchipped and intend to get teddy done too when he's older.

We decided on the newer bio-chip for olly it enables the vet to take his temperature with the scanner too. Our vet told us it is becoming normal practice for vets to scan dogs brought to the vet for the first time. Hopefully highlighting stolen dogs.

15. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

The bio chips aren't reliable for taking temperatures, my vet always does this with a thermometer, and there I was hoping I'd save Tau a bit of indignity in her life!

I am not keen on chips, I hate that *things* like this are made mandatory, I'd personally prefer something like dna profiling and possibly tatooing to back this up. Chipping dogs is going to be a necessity for anyone who health tests, can't remember which tests now but the dog has to be scanned on the occasion it's tested, is it the bva current clear eye cert??

The only thing that should ever be made mandatory imo is responsible ownership!

16. hawksport

hawksport Banned

That's what I read.

If we had compulsory chipping it wouldn't be that hard to set up compulsory registration to go with it with a two part document that had to be filled in by the buyer and seller the same as a car registration document. That could be taken as proof of ownership and legal responsibility.

17. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Try putting a ten digit ID number in a Chi's ear.

Or try finding a tattoo on a Chow.

Tattoos are good but simply aren't practical for every application.

This is exactly the idea envisaged and laid out by Dogs Trust. Mandatory chipping without mandatory registration would be a complete waste of time. Already 40-50% of strays who are chipped have incorrect details. We need cradle to grave tracability that can only come from compulsory chipping before first transfer of ownership along with a vehicle-style log book with similar legal burdens on both sellers and buyers to update the databases. Compulsory chipping without the rest would not bring the promised benefits.

The danger, to my mind, this that the former requires new legislation, time before the House, etc. whereas the latter coud be achieved quickly and easily by statutory instrument (i.e. no debate in the House, no new law, just a rubber stamp from the minister concerned and a change of wording in the EPA from the existing collar and tag requirement to include chips) and politicians have a tendancy to take the easy road.

18. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Henrick was tatooed when I got him, our dog wardend dont even look for tatooes, and his ear hair needs trimming to see the tattoo:(.

19. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Volunteering at a pound dog rescue probably only 10% of dogs that come in are chipped. Of those probably 50% are not up to date, never registered or owner sold the dog on and doesn't want it back (knowing its at potential risk of PTS :confused1: ) or unobtainable mobiles etc.

Many of the dogs that come in are in excellent condition, well trained and you can't believe someone isn't looking for them.

The ones that are chipped are the ones that tend to go home; and also tend to be the neutered ones and the ones that people are actively looking for whatever that tells you (not trying to start another debate :p).

If you only have 7 days to find your dog then it could legally be destroyed then I want every chance I can to get my dog back - one scan by the DW and hopefully straight back home. Its horrible sometimes to see so many dogs come in and in our case move on to other rescues and you just know there are people out there who don't know where to look and will forever be wondering where their dog is.

Its not perfect, as the system shows that even chipped dogs incorrect details are a big thing. Our vets makes you fill out the registration there and then and posts it off so at least its right at that time.

It would be good if vets could also scan dogs as new patients etc, i.e. your dog gets lost and if found by someone, not the Dog Warden, someone keeps it (even in good faith) and registers at a vets, no one will ever know.

Incidentally my boys chip has migrated to the underside of his neck/throat.

20. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

My animals are all chipped, including the horse. I personally wouldn't allow someone non veterinary trained to do it though, I will only allow my vet to chip them, might cost me more but I want someone I know has experience to be shoving needles in my animals.

I think the small risk of something going wrong with the chip is nothing compared to the risk of them getting lost and not having anything identifying on them. I'll always chip my animals.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice