Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To bleach or not to bleach

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gerbilmummy, Sep 6, 2013.

1. gerbilmummy

gerbilmummy PetForums Senior

Hello all.

Just over a year ago I moved into my own home for the first time, I decided to do what I grew up with my Gran doing once a year, doing a big 'spring' clean about August/September time so everything was clean and dust free before Winter.
    Anyway, I have gone through all the rooms and donated/thrown away anything I didn't want or need and now just need to do the cleaning. Having asked my Gran what she used for the big clean, she said she used bleach in the bathroom and kitchen, just this one time once a year.
    Anyway, I'd heard that you have to be careful with bleach so have been doing a bit of reading on line and one thing I kept reading was to not mix cleaners with bleach and the 'mixing' could happen on the surface itself. As I use Dettol surface cleaner would it be safe to use the bleach on those surfaces for as long as I haven't used the Dettol on the surfaces to bleach for at least 48hrs?

I am only going to use the bleach on the toilet, sinks, bath/shower and to put down the drains in the bathroom and the sink, washing machine, (oven?) and again the drains in the kitchen.

I was told its good to have bleach around anyway 'just in case' and I grew up with Gran using it but this'll be my first time.

Sorry if I'm being stupid.

2. fire-siamesekitty

fire-siamesekitty PetForums VIP

I haven't got a clue if you can mix bleach with cleaning stuff. I just use the bathroom sprays for the bathroom and toilet bleach for the toilet :D

3. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

The problem comes when you mix it - so if you poured bleach down the loo then cleaned the rest with Jif (sorry CIF now isn't it) or flash etc the chemicals could react with each other.

4. fierceabby

fierceabby PetForums VIP

The most deadly concoction I read about is drain clearer and bleach - you'd have a WW1 gas attack situation going on if you mix them (use them one after another).

I generally stick to Cif everywhere in the bathroom and bleach under the rim and down the toilet.
    In the kitchen I have a Dettol anti-bac spray and Elbow Grease de-greaser.

5. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

Be aware that bleach and dettol are toxic to animals, including cats. A safe, cheap and effective cleaner is white vinegar. Use diluted to mop floors and tiles (really washes away scum and makes them sparkle) and to wipe down surfaces. And don't worry, the house won't smell like salad as the smell quickly dissipates as it dries.

Empty a bottle of coca cola into the toilet bowl and let stand: will clear limescale buildup

#5 koekemakranka, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  6. gerbilmummy

Thanks for the warning and yes I am aware about the toxic problem.
    As the only animals I have are gerbils and I wouldn't be using it (if I decide to go ahead and get some) in the same room as them, I know it will not be a risk as I would close the doors into their room and open the windows.

I love coca cola and don't think I'd be happy wasting it down the loo, but thanks for the tip. (would lucozade work the same way? I hate the stuff:001_tongue:)

7. SammyJo

SammyJo PetForums VIP

I go through tons of bleach - especially down the toilets and down the plug holes every day :eek: I don't like parazone bleach (I think that's what its called) as it discolours down the toilet etc

I use a flash bleach to clean worktops and oven cleaner for in the oven and bathroom cleaner for the bath/shower etc.

8. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Oh and you mentioned using bleach in the oven - personally I wouldn't do that, if it wasn't all rinsed away/dried the heat would I am fairly certain give off toxic fumes at worst, at best would simply smell horrid. I only use bleach down the loos & plug holes

9. gerbilmummy

OK, I did mention the oven in brackets with question mark as I wasn't sure so I deff. won't be using bleach in the oven! In fact I'm not sure I'll use it at all, but I'll keep reading answers on here and think about it.

10. gorgeous

gorgeous PetForums VIP

I use Wendy! Has two arms and two legs. Comes once a week and works her magic and cleans our mad house and makes it look presentable.....until the kids and hubby get home!

11. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I prefer stardrops to bleach :)

12. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Stardrops?

13. LynnM

LynnM PetForums Senior

Great for cleaning windows, mirrors and glass shower doors :)

14. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

bleach is horrible for your lungs,but i do bleach toilets and drains.
    DONT EVER MIX BLEACH WITH TOILET CLEANER LIMESCALE REMOVER.
    THE GAS IS VERY TOXIC.

15. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I had no idea dettol was toxic to cats, is that the fumes or the liquid, cos i use it a lot.

16. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

The liquid, apparently. One of the forum users (can't remember his name)actually had a cat that got sick from it. Apparently anything that goes cloudy when mixed with water, is usually toxic to cats.

Poisons - hidden dangers

17. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

ok, thanks, I hardly use it unless someone had a cut etc, but on occasion I like to have a bath with quarter a bottle of dettol, just cos .. well... just no idea why really just to rid any extra uh.. dirt.. wtf I wrote that for, Ive no idea :eek:

18. Kinetikat

Kinetikat PetForums Newbie

Waterlily, what a revelation! LOL Bet you smell fabulous ;p

Me, I try to avoid bleach and heavy duty cleaners - anything that would eat my hands away if I accidentally dipped them in it is not a big hit. Plus, they smell foul.
    I shall definitely be trying that Coke tip for cleaning the loo - does anyone know if it works with Diet Coke? 'Cos that tastes so revolting the best place for it IS down the loo. (IMHO)

And of course, with five cats, two dogs and a blind partner, the necessity of avoiding putting anything in or on their environment that's going to hurt them is a big one!

I'm quite a fan of the Kim & Aggie approach - lemon juice and white vinegar, luvvies! Cleans amazingly well.

Sue
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice