Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To avoid, or not to avoid!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sleeping_Lion, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

A question for those who buy in as well as breed really, but are there lines that you avoid completely, or even individual dogs? Obviously you'd avoid lines with association to health problems, but what other reasons would you have for avoiding dogs/owners? (Without naming anyone for obvious reasons.)

As well as health issues, there are people I would avoid within the dog world, some more common than others! I can't count the number of times I've looked at a flatcoat pedigree and seen the same name pop up that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, and they're not just in flatcoats. I'd avoid anyone dishonest, or that I didn't think was ethical, whether or not their dogs were good, but would be willing to include a minor fault from a person who has proven their dogs are good (if not the best) but who I agreed with and liked their approach to their dogs.

Any *type* of person you'd avoid as a buyer/breeder?

2. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

The ones I didn't name on your other thread.:)

I will say in my breed I will avoid the working lines as I have found them too be more destructive and a lot more stubborn and naughty.

#2 Firedog, Aug 29, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

plenty in my breed especially in the UK

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I wouldnt name anyone on here but there are a few in Labs I would avoid, going by experience that is:rolleyes:

5. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Is it wrong to avoid someone with good dogs because they have their head stuck firmly up their backside?:)

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

That's interesting; some of the working bred flatcoat lines are more associated with producing a noise, as they are more highly strung, and while it's something I'd be keen to avoid as it's obviously a fault, I would prefer to use a dog with a dabbling of those lines than one from a breeder who I just didn't agree with the ethics at all. There are a few within the show world, and a couple of basically working bred puppy farm type breeders.

7. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I will say that despite being more naughty and stubborn, she is an exceptionally balanced dog so I can't fault her there.

8. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

My thinking is, if someone can be dishonest in one area of their life, what else might they be hiding. I'm just not willing to support people who I don't agree with, perhaps I might be cutting off my nose to spite my face!!

I might add, I don't mean a difference of opinion, I don't think I'd ever find someone who I agree with 100%, and am happy to agree to disagree. But I won't compromise on people who I find to be deceitful.

9. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

There is one woman in my breed who if I speak to will always give me advice but I can tell she really doesn't like me. I don't know what I have done but I won't worry about it.:)

10. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

Anyone that I see miss handling their dogs at shows. I always think if they do it in a public place what the hell do they suffer at home! Anyone who turns their dogs out badly. Only a few weeks a go everyone's jaw dropped when a so called top exhibitor and breeded turned up with a dog which was lame. On inspection it's nails where curling into pads! Excuse when confronted, she's not been out cos had a litter down! Unbelivable! I also listen to how people talk to their dogs! Example, I am totally daft with mine and will say (cummon my little slobber chops, sweetie pie. Sexy paws!) I really so not care what anyone things I love my dogs and that's how we talk at home so why not at a show! Also I don't believe whispers I always go first hand!

11. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I reckon there's a good few that wouldn't speak to me!! :D

12. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I don't care, there are two lovely ladies who have been in the breed for 30 and 50 years and they both support me and encourage and believe in me, I can't ask for more than that.

I reckon if someone doesn't want to speak to you, it's their loss. There is an old saying, keep your friends close and your enemies even closer:D Wise words, me thinks.:D

13. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I suppose so, although I don't think it's a case of 'avoiding' (except with regards to health issues), more that I am looking at specific dogs and lines.

14. Doguiesrus

I have been showing for around 18 months now. Before that I had alot to do with it because I used to go, observe, ask question and how I met the breeder of 4 of my dogs, yes I did go back 3 more times because I was that delighted with every aspect I just kept going back! At the first show I could hear whispers about me, one person even said to my now very good friend "don't know who she is but she isn't going to get far with that dog" oooh claws away! My friend quickly explained that it was her breeding from her top bitch and male who both where clearing up at all the shows! The lady (just being polite) looked like she could of died!! Turning her nose up in the hair when I got 2nd! I think with any breed there is a certain number of 'clicks' at shows. I find its best to stay on the fence! Never knowing what's true and what's not I listen but don't speak! Showing is definatley not for the faint hearted or sensetive! You soon learn to grow a thick skin!

15. Doguiesrus

Oh dear my spelling and English simply get worst! Please forgive me! I hate predictive text and must stop trying to multi task. One day my post will get me into trouble saying something completely different to how I mean it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice