Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To any Sphynx cat owners

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Cherriesdarling, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Cherriesdarling

Cherriesdarling PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I bought a Sphynx kitten and yesterday he came home. He’s been really needy. All he wants to do is cuddle and if I put him down he screams until I pick him up again. I’ve even taken him to the bathroom with me. If I’m sending a text he knocks my phone out of my hand. I’m so concerned as I have to go to work on Monday and I’m worried about how he’ll cope.

Does anyone have tips? Thanks.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Cherriesdarling and welcome :)

How old is your kitten? He may be too young to have left his mum. He should be at least 13 weeks old before he leaves his mum.

Is he eating normally and using his litter tray?

Can't you take some time off work to settle him in? I have always taken a couple of weeks off work to settle in new kittens. They do need that initial input of close contact with the new owner at the beginning to help them settle. I wouldn't regard 4 days as being long enough, especially as you have such an anxious and needy kitten, bless him.

I don't know much about Sphynx cats, other members may know more and hopefully will post a reply if so. I know they are very sociable cats who like to be close to their humans.

Have you been in contact with the kitten's breeder to ask her/him how you can best settle your kitten?

Cherriesdarling likes this.
  3. Cherriesdarling

Cherriesdarling PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice . He’s just over 13 weeks but from a litter that were full of life, so I guess he’s missing them all.
    I’d thought he’d be needy by not quite this bad, he climbs up my leg if I try and put him down. I do have a week off from work but it’s the week after next, as we have large projects on. It’s not too bad at the moment as my parents are staying, so he’s not totally on his own. It’s just when they leave. Hmmm, I’ve had Siamese before but this is a different league!

4. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Sphynx are very needy cats who want to be on you and under your skin if possible. They are perhaps the most energetic breed discounting those with wild cat ancestry, and are incredibly needy. You need to engage this kitten in lots and lots and lots of play, brain activity type play as well as chase the wand. Is it too late to consider getting him a friend?

TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice