To all those with dogs who lack attention, or are obsessed with other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Colliepoodle, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Daisy the Great Dane

This is nice :)

2. VickyandNero

VickyandNero PetForums Newbie

I am so glad to see this.
    I have a now 18 month old German Shepherd and he is brill and so clever, such a softy.
    We have been going to dog training for a year now and are in the high class and he has calmed down now and knows training is fun but not for playing with other dogs.
    The biggest problem he has is that if he ever sees a dog he has to say Hello.
    I do walk him off lead but only with no dogs around and put him on the lead if there is.
    Nothing at the moment seems to move his attention off a dog and I have chicken on me for every walk.
    I do train recall at home in the garden and in a dog park on a long leash, but he still really struggles to recall away from another dog, no matter how far away it is.
    He has doggy friends which he plays with about once a month and is very friendly with all dogs.

Please any ideas or specific games I can play with him as I thought it would calm down a bit by now.

3. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Mine is now four and a half years, but still likes to greet other dogs, but does respond well to me more now and will come back even if she is on the way to say hello. One major things really concentrates her mind on us to the extent that dogs will walk right past her and she will ignore them, but it requires water to swim in and stones to throw. We discovered this when walking along beaches, she loves to swim in the sea, but even more so if we throw in a stone for her to swim to. She doesn't try to get them or anything, once she arrives at the spot where the stone splashed in the water, she will turn to look at you for you to throw in another stone for her to swim to the splash.

What I'm saying here is you need to find that particular toy or game that he loves above else that will totally consume his mind and leave little room for going off to say hello. It could be a game of tug or a game seeking treats that have been tossed onto the floor, it's just finding that special something.
    He's still young at 18 months and he will gradually grow out of the need as he matures.

4. VickyandNero

VickyandNero PetForums Newbie

Thanks for replying.
    I think he is always going to be friendly but just want to be able to trust him more, that he inst going to leg it across a field.
    We will keep trying toys, but he isn't that food focused at the moment.
    He will chase sticks or balls, but nothing compared to another dog.

5. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Member

My pup is 7 months and just came into her first season yesterday. I have had my eye on this thread in preparation! So i kept her in yesterday and we did lots of wait training in the garden and she can now wait in one spot for quite a while whilst i hide her clam toy under a bush or something. And then she is good at sniffing it out. I had put skin off the turkey in it and wow does she love that!!

So we tried putting the turkey skin on the kitchen floor with her next to it. My daughter held her by the collar and i called her to me from the other end of the kitchen and - guess what - she went straight for the turkey skin and it just seemed to suck right into her without even touching the sides!!!

So there's a thing to work on!