To all those with dogs who lack attention, or are obsessed with other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Colliepoodle, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Labrador Lady

Labrador Lady PetForums Newbie

Goodness reading this post has been a great reassurance.....my lab pup is 14 months old and is very 'tuned into' me at home ( without distractions).....or at rally obedience classes.....but when until we get out on a walk then new sights/smells/sounds take over and he completely ignores me, regardless of the delicious treats i have on me. I've tried practising commands with gradually increasing distractions, but he seems to switch between completely focussed, to completely distracted, with no in between. Like Rachyni said, it worries me that my dog also doesn't seem to pick up on the cues when another dog tells him to go away - he just continues to bounce around and try to play. I don't understand why as he has been around many other dogs from the day we got him.....Im just now hoping he will grow out of it.

Its can make you feel hugely despondent if you have been investing time and energy training your usually obedient dog......who then routinely ignores you when other dogs/people arrive. So thanks from me to everyone who replied....encourages me to keep on with the training and consistency.

2. pickledtickle

pickledtickle PetForums Newbie

I was reading this thread...so about us. My pup is just 3 months old, I know we still have time to grow... Generally speaking she's a great puppy, very smart and intelligent, learns fast with a bit of stubbornness of a Samoyed hehe. She already knows Sit, Down, Stop, No and Look at me. Most of the times we have a great contact and everyone who knows us says it's incredible how she looks at me, listens with that eye contact etc. knowing we are together only one month. But... Then there are those times she has a selective hearing... And when everything else is more interesting and exciting than me, treats and toys. When she sees another dog/child/cyclist/runner and is on leash I can call her like 10 times and she won't react nor even when I show her the treat... She tries to pull me towards the object of the interest or if I won't let she will stand and stare stupidly on it. When this happens while she's off leash, she'll run towards the object and I cant recall her back, basically I can disappear and she won't even notice...
    Like this morning at the park she was following a runner and not coming back when called... If I was not going to pick her up (read: To run to catch them) she'd be long gone. I was so angry that moment and I put her immediately on leash... When we saw the runner again she was pulling and jumping to get there... And she didn't react on me calling her, showing treats nor the squeaky ball. I'll try to have a toy we use only when on walks to see if that will help.
    I feel quite desperate for this... Also because it's not always like that - later, in the evening she was a perfect dog... Listening, not pulling and I could get her attention away from a dog with a treat and asked her to sit... She was walking without wanting to get in every store open... We had an amazing walk. Because I had the magic treat AND she wanted to get that treat opposite this morning. She was looking on my with shiny eyes... I really don't get why she changes so suddenly to a dog that knows and hears nothing. Anyway...I love her a lot and the work is worth effort even if those moments when she makes me feel down I lose any hope in what I'm doing.

Matthewj likes this.
  3. Matthewj

Matthewj PetForums Newbie

that's an encouraging post, i've been having the same issues with our border collie pup. Shes 51/2 months old, when we are in a park she is pretty good with getting the ball and her recall is also very good, but she always runs off to another dog and for some other reason she will also run after a small child and jump up at them - Im contemplating buying one of those really long training leads.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I think you really do need to buy a training line, sooner rather than later, and keep her onlead in the meantime.

Running at children and jumping up could land you, and her, in serious trouble.

I realise she probably means no harm, but the Parent of a child may well not see it that way.

Matthewj likes this.
  5. Matthewj

Yes, we are going to get one, having said that though today, she was excellent and ignored everyone else.....but better to be safe than sorry...

6. Simon Harris

Simon Harris PetForums Newbie

Really nice to read some of these comments... I thought I was the only one that couldn't let my dog off lead. She's been on a long training lead for over a year now as i can't trust her running off. She runs to find a dog (or cat!) and we got to a point where she would escape out the front door.

Long line has been great for is to give her that extra space to walk and when we have a secure area then we can let her off.

Matthewj likes this.
  7. Matthewj

Update: Bella has come on really well now. We are lucky that where we live has a park with many, many dog walkers who meet up daily. We have been going there now for about 3months and Bella has met most of the dogs several times and had a good run around with them. Now, she seems not to be bothered at running after any dogs anymore and just wants to play with her ball...next challenge : People and Children - she is getting better.

8. Bigdogswinmyheart

Bigdogswinmyheart PetForums Member

We've been trying for 6 months to get recall on our rescue dog (she was 10 months then), if she sees another dog she's away. We have through trial and error (and with lots of training and training lessons) discovered that a small clip lock box that rattles we can hold her attention and also she's a lot better when dogs walk past. The main problem we have is she is massive and can scare people and other dogs. (Although soooooo gentle when she gets to them the bounce of excitement is terrifying). Thank You for the encouragement, I was starting to lose hope.

9. Lennor Magill

Lennor Magill PetForums Junior

Great post. I have a greyhound puppy with selective hearing. He will obey commands only when he wants to. Feeding times he's spot on with come,sit, stay ,wait etc, other wise it's a battle of wits. From your post it seems perseverance is the key to success. He's six months in a few days, so still very young . Hopefully he'll grow out of being contrary, although he's very loving with it. He makes me smile a lot at his trying to hoodwink me.
    You have given me hope for his improvement.

leashedForLife likes this.
  10. DoodleDoo

DoodleDoo PetForums Newbie

Something I really found made a huge difference with our pup, was to stop feeding her from a bowl. We were recommended to do this by a trainer, and she gets all of her food hand-fed whilst out and about and training. It really has made a huge difference to her focus and recall. Probably only on option if you feed your dog kibble though!

11. Lennor Magill

Thanks so much for your advice. My dear boy is fed on a raw diet. He has lots of treats as a training aid and they work at the time . He's a great one for ignoring you when he's got his selective hearing hat on.
    Will persevere though. Still a puppy, so there's hope.

12. Lennor Magill

My puppy is the same. He is focused until he get outside. The sights ,sounds and smells turns him into another dog. He doesn't understand the cues from other dogs either and i am afraid he will get hurt, he's pretty exuberant where other dogs are concerned and gets very excited. He's already had a few nicks from rebuffs from other dogs, but doesn't seem to be afraid. I have now taken to keeping him on a short training lead when out walking. He's already 28 kilos so very strong. I have to work hard with the aid of treats to keep him to heel.
    From your post I see there's hope. Will keep persevering

13. leashedForLife

"ditch the bowl" can be done with any diet -
    obv, U need to plan how to make that work when it's raw diet, BARF, home-cooked, etc, but it's def possible.
    :)

DoodleDoo likes this.
  14. Lennor Magill

A very difficult feat indeed. It's not practical and almost unattainable. It would probably be very time consuming

15. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Nope, my dogs are raw fed and when puppies and even now they rarely get their meals for free, they get fed during training including raw and I have taken out raw tripe with me before now! You can cut chicken wings into 3/4 pieces with shears etc.

16. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Not difficult, very practical if you take out plastic bags and definitely not unattainable nor timeconsuming

Lennor Magill and leashedForLife like this.
  17. leashedForLife

well... plopping a bowl of whatever on the floor is certainly quick, but that it's "simple & easy" doesn't mean it isn't a waste of a terrific potential training-resource, eh?
    using good food as a payoff for desired behavior is, ultimately, far-more efficient than just "giving it away" for nothing.
    as i said, it takes a bit of pre-planning, but no - it's neither impossible nor time-consuming drudgery.
    :)
    it's pretty simple.

Lennor Magill likes this.
  18. Lennor Magill

I will try the wings, the also have bite size pieces of Turkey necks which I will also use. Thanks for your advice. I will keep working on Morgan. He's great fun and lovely to be with

19. Lennor Magill

I do tend to do basic training before Morgan can start eating. Stuff like walking to heel when I take him to feed making him sit then down then having him stay/wait before he's allowed to start eating . He knows this drill and it's reinforced at every meal to the point where he sometimes go to feeding point and wait.
    I will take on board the other advice making him work harder for a meal. I will also use it on walks to teach recall. Thank you for your input

20. ColliePoo

ColliePoo PetForums Newbie

I can't believe how long ago I started this thread!!

My girl is nearly 10!!