Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

To all those with dogs who lack attention, or are obsessed with other dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Colliepoodle, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

... Just a little encouraging post. This is difficult to write without sounding boasty or condescending so please be assured that it isn't meant to be either.

My girl is 11 months and I got her originally to hopefully compete at Obedience with. She is very bright and I'm very happy with her training in the class situation but she has ALWAYS been VERY interested in other dogs. Much as she loves her ball and tuggy, if there was another dog on the horizon I didn't have a hope.

She's not long had her first season and although I know some people still take their bitches out, I didn't want to take the chance so I kept her in for the requisite 3 weeks. I did LOADS more with her around the house and garden though, more training, more playing and it's really paid off.

She is more focussed on me and although still enjoys playing with other dogs, the obsession has gone. She is just as interested in me as she is other dogs now. But it HAS been hard work. I always take loads of yummy treats out, and randomly treat her just for coming back to me, even if I haven't called her. I surprise her by producing her ball at times, and chucking it in random directions (I am very good at throwing in random directions - I throw like a girl and it never goes where I want it to anyway lol).

I just wanted to assure those who are a bit despondent and losing heart (I did, on and off!) that training techniques DO work. But they don't always work quickly, and you have to keep them up, and sometimes it seems you are going backwards, but then suddenly it's like a lightbulb goes on and overnight, your dog WILL make a huge leap forward in their training and it's all worthwhile.

I also think, from observing my dog, that although "he'll grow out of it" is NOT often true of many behaviours, sometimes they DO just need to grow up a bit - adolescence in a dog is every bit as trying as it is in a human and as long as you can ride the storm and still be consistent, even though they try your patience, it will pay dividends :thumbsup:

2. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Thanks for that I do know we all get down when our dog seems to be a pain., and there is no one to give us a pat on the back when we get it right.

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

No pain is no gain right. I feel as they grow up a bit from puppy stage they do generally grow out of most behaviour problems. If your lucky.

4. gillieworm

gillieworm PetForums VIP

Thanks for the encouraging post. You must be so pleased with the progress your girl has made :)

I have been doing the Good Citizens with both of mine, my 20 month old boy is in the gold class, and my 6 month old girl is doing her bronze test on Saturday :eek:. Both of mine have had consistant training from being with us at 8 weeks old and have attended training classes weekly from the time they had all of their jabs, and I agree it doesn't happen over night, it does take time and bloody hard work, and you do have days where you pull your hair out and wonder why the hell you bother :mad5: but it really does pay off. I also do think that maturity does play a part. My boy was a complete handfull as a pup, but since about the age of 15 months old its as though he has really grown up and lost the puppy excitement which makes him more more responsive in training :)

5. canuckjill

canuckjill Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you all for this encouraging post....Jill

6. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

Thanks Colliepoodle that post has really given me hope!!!

I've bought a nice new tug toy today (Zach loves tug) which I'm going to save only when we are out together. For the few couple of weeks I'm going to take him to a quiet field and play tonnes of tug with him and carry on with the usual training. Hopefully that will help him to see I'm just as much fun than other dogs!

We are also starting agility next week so (fingers crossed) that too should help him bond a little more with me and focus more on me on the walks :)

7. gillieworm

gillieworm PetForums VIP

Thats great Louise, should definitely help build your bond. I find the same has happened with me with the obediance classes, its an especially good feeling when it becomes obvious you are favourite over your OH :p

Let us know how the agility goes on, I am thinking of going with Logan after he passes his gold because I don't think he is competitive obediance material, but I definitely want to carry on doing something with him. Only thing is we have had a few agility things in class occassionally and the little wimp seems to be scared of the stuff :rolleyes:

8. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

LOL I would so love it if I was the favourite!! Unfortunately at the min I'm just the mug that feeds him, walks him and keeps him company throughout the day, the OH is the exciting parent that comes in at tea time to play :rolleyes:

I dunno how we're gonna get on lol you know Zach he'll prob run riot as always, I have a feeling that he will enjoy it once he gets the hang of it though but like your Logan he can be a bit of a wimp at times!! Bless em!!

9. Colliepoodle

I've had another bit of a breakthrough this afternoon - we met a bloke on our walk who had a frisbee and Boo went MAD for it. I am kicking myself for not thinking of it earlier because the thing she loves to chase above all other things is birds - well the closest thing to a bird, toy-wise is a frisbee because they are in the air for much longer than a ball.

She was ignoring other dogs completely in favour of the frisbee.

I just need to learn to throw the bloody thing as far as the bloke could :D

Off to PAH before it closes to buy some :)

10. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Sounds like things are going well, have you started competing yet ?

11. Nina

Nina PetForums VIP

What a lovely post. Should be more just like this one ;):)

12. 6660carrie

6660carrie PetForums Member

Oh god I can sooo relate to this! My OH does absolutely no training, lets him wander all over the place when he occasionally walks him and basically lets him run riot!! Because he always sits with him in the evenings he says its because I'm too strict with him and he loves him more!! Sometimes I think I'm fighting a losing battle.

13. Colliepoodle

Not yet. I want to go to some shows just as a spectator early next year and maybe do a bit of training around the ringside, to let her get used to working in completely new and different environments, and then maybe next summer start having a bash at actually (gulp) going in the ring.... :eek:

14. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, i entered a few obedience comps with my dog before she was old enough to enter working trials, i liked it, and most shows take place in the summer, a bonus, working trials takes place all year round, so sometimes the weather is appauling, I'm competing on Friday at Lincoln.

15. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

My boy is crazy for frisbee, he does love ALL other dogs, but as soon as he sees his frisbee he's 100% focused and just gives me a look that says "throw the damn thing already" :laugh:

16. LittleMissSunshine

LittleMissSunshine PetForums VIP

Fancy spending 3 weeks with Poppy??? No, she's great most of the time, I'd love to get her into flyball at some point, think she'd love it but she is a little too distracted at the moment. She's going in tomorrow to be neutered, so we'll get over that first!! She'd much rather go sniff someone or a dog than chase a ball a lot of the time!!
    Thank You for the encouragement!!

1 person likes this.
  17. kittysoo

kittysoo PetForums Member

what an inspirational thread. With my 3 youngsters - l am the one lacking the motivation to keep trying. Other stuff gets in the way.
    I also wanted to do the good citizen dog but dropped out after family problems and never got back into it. Now l have 3 bouncy excitable, weeing pooing mutts that drive my husband mad. He is at home with them all day as he is retired - l work in the afternoons and occasionally have to do all day. I am the only dog walker too.
    The mutts are continously together and if you try and take one away for training - its literally the end of the world.

I have,nt given up on them or myself - just think we are a very slow work in progress.:rolleyes::

18. Katyptaty

Katyptaty PetForums Junior

Great to hear things are going so well, CP!! :cornut: I too have had great success with my rescue 10 month old lab (now 18 months ALREADY!!). Not trained, no, I'll change that... trained to be naughty!! He'd run off after anything - dogs, cyclists, rabbits, joggers etc. We just weren't interesting enough for his adolescent lab brain despite doing lots of playing in the house, taking him everywhere, routine, doing a touch of agility and some training classes (but not many, cos the issue was a bonding one) etc.

He got progressively better over the months and we got really good at reading situations, i.e. if someone was approaching, get hold of either him or get his attention with food/toy/stick. Started to work really well. He started coming out for rides with me and cos I would turn round and canter off if he didn't listen, he started to listen :D It helped a lot for our walks when he was naughtier.

Lots of keeping him close, lots of play in the house, lots of praise for the good behaviour, ignoring the bad and then finding 'the perfect toy' which is a rubber ball that boings all over the place.

In the last 2 months it suddenly clicked... WE are now the most important things in his life :001_tt1: He ignores other dogs now, they are just 'in the way' cos mum is going to throw his ball. He'll walk to heel past anything, no lead, just cos I'm holding the ball.

... and I've got his full attention at the stables cos inbetween each chore I throw the ball for him. He now sticks to me like a limpet, just in case ;)

He still occasionally reverts to puppy behaviour (eating shoes, nicking stuff, going lalalalalala) but god, it's SO much better!! So yes.... with time they can get better, but I do think this needs to be accompanied with consistent training.

Well done. I hope the frisbee theory works!! after a few weeks of having the best time ever she won't think about leaving your side :D (and best wishes for those still going through the 'nightmare patch'... it's draining!!!!:eek:)

Npnpnpnpnp and Lennor Magill like this.
  19. Katyptaty

Katyptaty PetForums Junior

actually, take a look at my past posts (cos I've not been on for a while) and yo'll get the measure of how crap it all was :lol:

20. GFB

GFB PetForums Newbie

I have moved my message to a more appropriate thread - thank you.

#20 GFB, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice