Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

To all those that breed - a question

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by ad_1980, Jun 25, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Now i know some of you work for a living as well as breed your dogs...so here's an interesting question....

what do you do with the money that you get from the puppies? What does it go towards? Its just a general question really.

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

When I sold my last litter I had to pay out of the money for the
    dew claw removal @£8 per pup x 9 pups,
    worming liquid,
    kc registration ,
    puppy food.
    I then had 1 puppy ended up at the vets on a drip vets bill nearly £600. I kept her until she was nearly 12 months old then gave her away to some one who already has 2 of my whippets

I had 2 bitch pups didn't go to new home until they were 4 months 1 of which I had to drive to Bristol with her as her new home is in Penzance. Another dog I kept until he was 6 months as he a retained testicle and the person who wanted him wanted a dog to show so didn't have him. I will point out this whole litter was sold before they were born but I was let down people when it came to coming to pick their pup.

Then my car died repair bill £500. I need my car as my vets is quite a way away there are nearer ones but my vet has whippets so he knows what drugs they can or cannot have.

I am expecting a litter in the next week or so It is only going to be a small litter of them 2 will go to the stud owner, 1 is sold and will go to near to Glasgow and if there happens to be 4 I would like to keep 1 myself If there is only 3 I will not be able too.

3. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

Any i get goes back into my poochies...vet bills, grooming food, some going towards a new puppy this year and optigen tests

4. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

drugs n alchohol :001_tt2:

5. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

only kidding,i have vets bills,just been back today as my girl went into eclampsia,so more to add to my vet bill,lol decent worming program from vet(hes doing really well out my litter,lol) good food,treats all the extras a nursing mum needs and maybe,just maybe i get a treat at the end for all my hard work:D

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I didn't breed intentionally.. I spent well into the hundreds, and this was only from when the mum was 8 weeks gone!

Rehoming the pups we only made back about half of what we spent! But the pups were the most important thing, finding them homes.
    But if I ever do it again, I will be doing it properly! With health tested kg regd dogs. And not for a good few years either!

xx

7. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

Haven't bred a litter since 92 but that litter put me in the hole. Emergency c section with 2 vets on a Sunday I kept 1 pup 1 went for stud fee and 3 were pre sold well really 4 were but the pup that blocked the birth canel died. Was it worth it yes I had a blast with the pups and my bit#h lived for another 9 yrs of course that was her last litter I almost lost her and her value to me was priceless. It has taken me until now to consider having another litter pups.I do believe most people put any money back into thier dogs in one form or another....Jill

8. basi

basi PetForums Senior

My last litter I didn't make any money from, then I'm not doing it for the money anyway. My girl only had 2 pups one of which I kept myself, so by the time I had payed for the rearing of them nothing was made.
    My male has been used at stud and the money I made from his 1st 2 litters payed exactly the amount my new girl Belle cost me. The money I made from him being used last year has gone in to paying for Belles health tests.

9. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

lmao @tiddlypup like the alcohol bit hehe;)

10. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Fabulous response!!!
    :D:D:D

I expect (all being well and I get to take a litter out of Tau next year) any money will be eaten up by dog related bills; in reality, it already is being spent on health testing and whelping equipment, stud dog fees and all the other stuff I will need before the pups even arrive. I just hope there's a pup or two in there for me to keep and run on, my main aim in taking the litter in the first place.

11. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I bred a litter of pugs in January, 4 survived. A fairly expensive breed and i didnt make a penny!!

Over anxiety probably took me to the vets more than required, then had a csection, then kept one (reason for breeding), then had to travel 3 hours each way for the stud, stud fee but the main cost was loss of earnings. Both my OH and i used all our holiday and some unpaid. I left the house a handful of time from the week before the birth until 8 weeks after. I also ensured they had all had one vacination and bought a ridiculous amount of equipment, toys, goody bags for them all to go home with.

But, i got the most fab boy from it with a bond money couldnt buy :)

12. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

My bichon has had two litters, she is four years old and i initially bred her as i wanted another bichon, i had been given a boy bichon that some one could no longer look after but i wanted another girl.My friend who has a bichon also wanted another one as company for her one so we bred the dogs thinking she had maybe three pups, turns out she had seven (one was still born) The money went on jabs, food, stair gates, bowls, blankets, puppy pads, some new clothes for my dogs :wink5: toys, treats and any future things they needed. This time round i am paying more into keeping them and so its alot different than last time, learning from this i wont be breeding again, i have my lovely dogs and i am temporary home for the left over pups, although they will all get good homes, of this im sure:D

13. clueless

clueless Banned

I breed to keep firstly and what is left from any Puppies sold I have in a seperate account for the dogs. I use this for campaigning them at shows, equipment and Vets bills if needed

14. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

This is my first breeding of my chihuahua and she had two pup's the money I make on them will go into a jar for the needs of my dogs, and to put back into my saving jar which i had to break into as I had to call the vets twice, so spent my holiday money. I know of a man (not naming names) but he had 4 chihuahua (that I know of) and a few other breeds and bred all of them with each other, you wouldnt beleive the amount of adverts in our local paper he had going, I am sorry but I reported him to the RSPCA as I felt that this was over breeding on his females, and it isnt fair. He was in it for the money only and didnt care about the health of his females. And guess what, he dont advertise anymore, unless he uses a different name, but I KNOW the rspca did a house visit on many occasions and kept me updated. THIS IS WHERE I THINK IT IS TOTALLY WRONG, THESE PEOPLE DONT CARE ABOUT THEIR ANIMALS JUST THEIR BANK ACCOUNT. NASTY NASTY NASTY.

15. borderer

borderer Guest

put it in the bank:)

16. maxravi

maxravi PetForums Newbie

I sincerely spend it on my Pet only.
    Recently I purchased a Gold Presidential dog Bowl for my Pet Tyaggy.

17. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

Oh my i thought i could become rich selling puppies, oh well think i will go for neutering instead of breeding my bitch. :p No really, was thinking about it and had alot of offers last month's time from people with ebt dogs , but 1 she's only 1.5years old and 2 i dont have the cash for supporting x puppies. :(

18. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

we never made a single penny!!:D infact we were way out of pocket:rolleyes:
    cos we kept all but 1 of the litter plus Luna had to have a ceasarian.

19. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

We breed rarely and when we do any income goes back into the dogs one way or another.
    One of our neighbours once "shopped" us to the Inland Revenue and they investigated our finances - as a result they found that our expenditure on the dogs so far outweighed the income from the litter we had that year that they sent us a £375 rebate. Nice one neighbour!!!!:D:D:D

Mick

noushka05 likes this.
  20. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

We breed occassionally to produce a pup (or two!) for ourselves, for showing.

Any time we have made money it has gone straight back into the dogs - health testing, dog show entries, that sort of thing. In a couple of litters we have lost a lot of money in it. One litter, we had 4 boys and 1 girl. We were breeding for a girl to keep for ourselves. We lost the one girl, so were left with the 4 boys. We ended up keeping one of those who is now our lovely boy Beau. Of the others, we sold 2 (one at a very reduced price to a neighbour) and the other one had to have surgery at 5 weeks to fix a hole in his diaphragm. We then gave him away to a wonderful local home. The surgery cost us about £500, and then we lost the £600 that the puppy would have cost. The bitch needed a caesarian in the middle of the night which came to about £500, then add on all the costs of raising a litter - feeding them, worming etc. Lets just say that the money we got back from selling the two didnt even come close to covering the costs. But thats not why we breed. The little man who had the surgery came to visit a couple of weeks ago. His new owners bring him back every few months to see us. Yes, it would have saved us a lot of money to just have him PTS, but seeing him happy, healthy running around the garden with our dogs and having a GOOD life is more than worth it :) His new owners love him and are so happy with him, and thats what its all about :D

I have a litter at the moment. My first ever litter of pugs. In theory i should make money out of them. Mum popped them out like shelling peas lol No caesarian, and only a vet visit for a check up and dew claw removal. Its a large litter and with the price pugs can fetch you coud easily make several thousand £££'s. But we will probably break even with this litter as we bred these purely for ourselves, not to sell them, so we may let one or two go, but no more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice