Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Titre Testing and Vets - questions!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by happysaz133, Mar 13, 2014.

1. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

First question, do you say 'tee-ter' or 'ty-ter'?

Secondly. How does the testing work exactly? I assume the vet takes a blood test and sends it away for testing. Do they phone you with the results or send it on paper to you to read for yourself?

My vet is so against not vaccinating, and against titre testing. So disgusted when I said I hadn't vaccinated a dog since 2005. So its been three years since Lucy was done (by the rescue) this November so I'd like to have her testing just to see if my vet has a point or not. He says my dogs are at horrible risk and I'd just like to be able to say "HA, no they aren't!".

Childish, I know :001_tongue: But my point is, if the vet phones you with the results, how do you know they won't say they DO need vaccinating? :confused:

#1 happysaz133, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

I've never had it done on my dogs before but when my dogs have had bloods done for other reasons they have always been emailed back to the vets, and i always ask to be forwarded the email, which has the name of the person who did the test at the bottom. So they wouldn't be able to lie (not that I think they would)

ETA- I ask for results to be forwarded so that I can go off & research things to get a better understanding- not because I don't trust my vets.

#2 Nataliee, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  3. happysaz133

Ah that's a good idea, thanks, I could ask them to do that.

4. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

I think it can be pronounced either way - I say 'tyter' personally. :)

It is a blood test that measures the levels of protective antibodies in the body. Remember it cannot tell you anything about cell-mediated immunity, which relies on the actual cells of the immune system rather than antibodies, so you don't get the full picture about immunity.

Generally we would ring with results for convenience. Vets should be happy to provide you with a copy of the results as well, if you request it.

As for your last point, that would be extremely unethical and no vet in their right mind would do that. Bit of an upsetting allegation, actually.

5. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I say "tighter" :)

The only time I've had it done was with Indie 6 months after her initial vaccinations to make sure she had enough immunity against parvo which she didn't so she had to have it done again. I completely trust my vet so didn't feel the need to ask for proof. To be honest if I thought for one minute that I couldn't trust my vet to be honest with me and put my dogs welfare first I would change vet.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Print him off a copy of this below maybe he hasn't read it.

http://www.wsava.org/sites/default/files/VaccinationGuidelines2010.pdf

The core vaccine have been proven to last 3 years and longer, the bacterial vaccines for things like lepto spirosis don't though, in fact I think they only cover 2 strains anyway and there was a point (don't know if its improved) where it was doubtful they covered for more then 6months anyway. Titre testing and using it to check there is sufficient antibodies is all explained on there too.

Bloods taken and sent of to a lab there is something called vacci check which is an inhouse test kit vets can purchase and do without sending it away but that sounds unlikely if they are till promoting yearly boosters and against titre testing. They should get the results back with the titre antibody levels and by them can tell if there is sufficient. They should phone you with the results, if your not sure, then ask for a copy, of the results.

This may be useful to print off too and give him a copy Dr Jean dodds, its worth you reading too, and the ink above to get clued up and understand everything.

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | Avoid unnecessary vaccines with titer tests (Part III)

7. happysaz133

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just wondering if some vets do it, that's all.

8. happysaz133

Changing vet isn't an option, the next one is 80 miles away and its too far.

It's not that I don't trust my vets, I do, and they have taken great care of my pets over the years.

I just wish they were more open to my opinion.

9. happysaz133

I've tried that, didn't make any difference. Also used the WSAVA links.

I still get reminders that my dogs need vaccinating, even though I have said I am not going to do it. My previous dogs have all lived to 13/14 without vaccines, yet they still don't seem to believe me that they are not needed every year.

10. Ceiling Kitty

Probably very, very few. Always a few bad apples in any profession I guess.

No offence taken, I was just a bit concerned that you were suggesting such behaviour was commonplace!

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I did a lot of research into titre testing a few months back and its a huge grey area.

There seems to be conflicting opinions between the experts quite honestly and my vets agree because at the time they were also looking into purchasing an 'in house' titre testing kit.

I was particularly interested in titre testing for lepto but that's a total waste of time apparently.

12. happysaz133

That was what I meant, and don't worry, I'm certain it isn't commonplace! I'm just part of a Facebook group that suggests stuff like that happens often, but, I think its just vaccination extremists scare-mongering.

13. happysaz133

I've heard that, because there are so many different strains of it. But the same could be said for the vaccination, something like only 6 of the strains are covered by the vaccination so if your dog is subjected to one of the others he/she is going to get it anyway.

Not sure if there's truth in that or not, I think it was the Canine Health Concern booklet I read it in.

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

At the end of the day your the client and its your dog though, they cant force you to have them done, request a Titre test if that's what you want to do.
    Ive been pretty lucky with vets, even though not all have necessarily always agreed with something Ive requested or not thought it particularly necessary, they have never actually refused to do it. Which has been just as well on occasion, as Ive been proved right a few times on certain things.

15. happysaz133

Oh I know they can't force me, and I'm sure they wouldn't refuse if I said I wanted it done. It's just something I get reminded of frequently and its annoying.

Lucy's not done her 3 years until November, so I have a while to think about it.

16. Ceiling Kitty

Yeah, Leptospira vaccination unfortunately does not really produce antibodies that can be correlated with immunity levels. It doesn't mean the vaccine is not protective, but it makes titre testing less useful.

ETA: And, as mentioned above, not all serovars are covered by vaccination.

17. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I took two pairs of boxing gloves with me when I had a very heated discussion with my vet over vaccinations....LOL To be fair he's a passionate man and a good vet but we have had quite a number of 'in depth' conversations on various aspects of veterinary medicine since I joined his practice almost 4 years ago.

I didn't have my 5.1/2 yr old bitch vaccinated for lepto this year. I'm not anti-vaccinations but the previous 3 years she has developed mysterious lumps shortly after being vaccinated, which I'm pretty certain was the result of the lepto jab. No lumps now. I may have her vaccinated for the three core diseases when she's due in December or titre test, we'll see.

18. GoldenRetrieverman

GoldenRetrieverman PetForums VIP

Im looking forward to my vaccine reminder coming through the post next month. Gonna set fire to it lol:D

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I recently had my dogs vaccinated against 4 strains at Pets at Home vets. With a canal at the bottom of the garden, and rats commonplace (pigeon lofts about 150m away), it's the infection that worries me most.

With previous titre tests the vet has phoned me with the all clear.

20. IncaThePup

IncaThePup PetForums VIP

If all the vet does is take the blood and sends it to a lab anyway. Could a person just contact the lab directly and ask if they could send whatever they usually send blood in?

You could use one of those diabetic pin prick things to get a bit of blood to send to them surely? (if vets won't co-operate)

btw...can a vet refuse to treat your dog for other things if you refuse the yearly vaccination and want a titre test instead? I know some training clubs and kennels etc require that dog is vaccinated before they can go. They maybe thinking your dog maybe a risk if he was sick and they had to keep it in overnight for any reason?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice