Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tired of dog barking at home...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by leo_ge, Jul 8, 2019.

1. leo_ge

leo_ge PetForums Newbie

Our dog never barks when walked (either on lead or without) and even when other dog's bark at her. She is generally very friendly to people and dogs and always wants to play (she is 1 year old).
    But when at home and something is happening outside (say another dog is barking or somebody talking at the street), she starts barking with howling. Can be at night as well. All the family really tired from this, especially me, as I am working from home.

When being puppy our dog did not bark, she began when she was about 10 months old, and now (she is 12) she barks even more.

I've already seen two advises: 'dogs naturally bark, as this is their way to communicate' and 'you should have thought in advance before you decided to have a dog', however this is not helpful in our case.

Anyone has a successful experience in stopping their dog from barking by using training or devices?

Many thanks in advance...

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Have a look at these training videos from Kikopup on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAA4pob0Wl0W2agO7frSjia1hG85IyA6a

Please don't be tempted to try an anti barking "device" as these things may stop the bark but don't address the underlying cause of the barking. That can lead to frustration or anxiety in your dog and in turn even more troubling behaviour can start.

3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Try to teach your dog to bark a couple of times (everybody needs a ‘watchdog’), then come to you for a really great treat. Call him to you at first bark so he’s still listening to you at this stage.

I would definitely not use any sort of bark deterrent. Apart from the fact that it’s so aversive, you run the risk that he’ll associate the unpleasantness with noises outside, or whatever he’s barking at, and try even harder to see it off; so the problem is worse.

If you can clicker train then click after one or two barks then he should come to you for his reward. Make sure you get the timing right.

Barking at night is a harder one as presumably you’re in bed, rather than present with him. Maybe you could change where he sleeps, leave a radio on to mask noises from outside. Perhaps somebody else has ideas on that one.

The main thing to keep in mind is that he’s not doing this to annoy you, he’s probably feeling threatened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice