Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips on Showing

Discussion in 'Dog Shows and Events' started by Black & Tan, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Black & Tan

Black & Tan PetForums Junior

Hi,

I'm going to ring craft classes and will be entering some shows very soon.

Just wondered if anyone has any tips they can share?

Thanks.

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

If your dog is small enough to crate, and there is space, take one, but you may have to get there early. I also take a chair and something to eat/drink.

When I enter my dogs, I order a catalogue, so I can see exactly what order the showing is in, and know approximately when I'll be in the ring. First thing I do when I arrive, if I'm setting up with a crate is find my ring(s) and set up crate, chair etc.

Don't forget bait if you use it, although at a lot of shows you can buy pretty much what you need.

Don't forget ring clip, always have a spare one and an elastic band in your show bag.

And finally relax, it's good fun, you can tell the judge it's your first time showing and they'll explain everything to you, the only other thing you need to tell them is the age of your dog :)

3. Black & Tan

Black & Tan PetForums Junior

Thanks for that.

Does a dog need to be bathed before every show ?

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

:eek: I've never bathed my dogs ever, I tell a lie, perhaps Indie did get one or two for fox poo incidents when she was little, but no, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge has found bits of heather stuck in Rhuna's fur before :eek:

I do groom them before they go in, I don't have to do much for the Lab other than a quick tidy up, the flatcoat takes longer as she needs her coat stripping out regularly, and then a tidy up of feet, ears and tail for the ring.

Edited to add, perhaps it's more *normal* to bath some breeds than others, but my preference is for the minamilist approach.

5. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

I didnt even bathe mine to go to crufts lol. One of mine had and allergic reaction to shampoo once so now it's coat shine and wipes ear and eye wipes and I always take a spray bottle of water and sponge incase of muck feet. And we go to ring craft in some right states!!

6. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

A friend of mine with a Newfoundland spends over £60 per bottle on shampoo for her dog! But then there's a lot more preparation for newfies for the ring, and I suppose once that precedent has been set, that the coat is that bit more luxurious and flowing, and your dog with it's peat moss and bits of heather hanging off it doesn't look as instantly stunning, then the only way to compete on a fair footing is to do what the others do.

I think I'm slightly mad because I just don't go in there to win, I'd love to, but my main aim is that I love my dogs, and if we win, it's a bonus, but I don't do it as a grooming competition.

7. Doguiesrus

Yes me too. If I get placed I'm like yey! Be as use I've only been showing a short time it's a bit facey sometimes! Which is annoying! I have to run with a slobber cloth too or the judge can get an hand full of slimed spit! Best thing is to relax its easy to be nervous and that's when your likely to fall over your pooch! I could not pay £60 for shampoo! That's like 120 blocks of mince! A weeks feed for mine! X

8. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Depends what dog you have. I usually bathe Bess before every show as it makes her coat much nicer. Also I enjoy it - it's part of getting ready. Bathe, dry, trim, do nails etc.

Though sometimes I think that it would be nice just to take a dog as it is!

My tip is always have a poo bag in your pocket - useful in case your dog decides to poo when the judge goes to look at her. Yes, it happened to me when Bess was young. :eek: But I've seen dogs poo in the ring since, so having a poo bag ready and cleaning it up calmly is the best thing to do.

Unlike SL we travel light - I don't bother with a crate but my OH comes with me so there's always someone to hold Bess when I pop to the loo etc. We don't take chairs either as standing isn't a problem.

Make sure you start with Open shows - the Champ shows are very big and will be a bit overwhelming for your dog until you're both a bit more used to it. I'm a bag of nerves at any show - although I'm getting better, and that's had a big effect on Bess who picks up on my anxiety and was a nightmare in the ring until I started to relax a bit. A bottle of Rescue Remedy helps if you're nervous. :D

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I must admit, I mainly do it as I often have the two of them with me, and if there's no-one available to hold the other one I'd be stuffed!

10. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

as above, plus I always take wet wipes and towels in case its an indoor venue but raining outside, I cover the dog up with a towel to get from car to venue, go outside to toilet etc, and wipe and dry when they come back inside. You can buy dog suits or coats which do a better job. If its an outdoor venue with rings and its raining, no point in trying to keep the dog dry as he'll look the same as all the other dogs :D

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Nothing to add really to what the others have said. I always take crates with me as I usually take either 3 or 4 dogs with me.

I also make sure I take water and a bowl for the dogs and some sandwiches and drinks for me you never know how long you will be there for. I am usually there from the beggining as whippets are often first in the ring until the end because my italian greyhounds are usually in not seperately classified which is often at the end of the day. I always take a chair too as there may not be any available and it is hard standing all day if you end up staying.

12. Kicksforkills

Kicksforkills PetForums VIP

I sometimes get Dexter to sit and then stand. When he stands his tail goes up.

13. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

Clicker training is brilliant for teaching your dog to self stack (if they need to be stacked), I've been doing this with Wybie and at the moment he'll put himself into a reasonable stack and I just have to make some very minor adjustments. I find he looks much more natural and is more likely to hold it if he does most of the work himself :biggrin:

14. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Some good tips so far. I would add the following:

Always exercise your dog (ie for wees and poos) before he goes in the ring - no-one minds if your dog relieves himself in the ring (providing you pick it up and dispose of it, of course!) but you won't get the best out of a dog who needs to go to the toilet!

Get there early enough to let your dog have a go in your ring beore the judging starts, especially if it's an outside ring - it gets him used to the smells and saves you trying to get your dog to move around when all he wants to do is sniff the grass :p

We always take crates and always use benching if it's a champ show (it would be impossible to manage four or five dogs without them) but we always let the dogs have plenty of time outside the crates too, and once they've finished showing we find somewhere where they can have a grand old time racing around together.

We always bath our dogs before a show - and sometimes at the show we use dry shampoo on the border collies' whites if it is a rainy day or the entrance to the show is muddy, or if one of the boys has aimed badly and peed on his leg. It's a mark of respect for the judge - how would you like to be running your hands over hundreds of dirty dogs all day? You have to remember though that you must brush any product out of the coat before judging starts.

You have to think abut the humans as well as the dogs. Someone has already mentioned food and drink (catering can be expensive at shows - £7.50 for burger and chips at Bakewell :eek:). We are always prepared for all weathers - we have jumpers, waterproofs, umbrellas and sun-tan lotion in our show bags! Plus we also take some paracetamol and an anti-histamine cream just in case.

But most of all - enjoy it! You'll win some and you'll lose some - one show your dog will win his class and the next show he'll not even be placed, so just roll with it and anjoy what you're doing. :thumbup1:

15. Doguiesrus

Hehehehehe my first show was a championship show Nd second crufts as I took a dog in partnership tht had already qualified so my mentor made me! She said throw you in at deep end! I was lucky to have such a great team behind me. It's nice of you can get some one from ring craft ho has same breed as you then you can go together x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice