Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips on Seperation Anxiety

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 6, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Next door have asked me to have some words with their son about Bullseye's SA, because a neighbour complained.
    Now, I have had words with him before about getting Bullseye to sleep in his crate while they are in and at night but it just goes out the other ear.

So I am going to have to kind of scare the son in to doing as he is told, as his parents tell him to put the dog in the crate he wont.

SO I am going to start of by having stern words about how its His dog, so His responsibility and he should be training the dog without being told to. Also going to say that his parents like living here and it's not fair that because of him they are upset that they have annoyed neighbours.
    Also going to tell him that a large number of dogs are in rescue because the owners can't deal with the barking and just rehome them (there are a few dogs in my local who have been put there due to SA)

Anyway, I am going to need a few more tips on dealing with the SA as it has been a long time since I've dealt with it (Dixie was cured simply by being put in another room).

Going to tell him to stop having the dog with him all the time when they are in and even though Bully will cry at first, to keep putting him in the crate for Short periods at a time.

it is the summer holls here so even if it means the boy has to stay home to make sure the dog isn't left for longer that 10 mins at first, he will have to.

Anymore tips please?

x

#1 PoisonGirl, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Anyone??

xx

3. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

if you goggle the subject, you get loads of advice on it x

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Well I had a word with him today while we walked the dogs.

I told him that when I was looking for homes for the puppies I wanted somewhere they would be happy all the time, and Bullseye isn't happy when he is left, and that makes me unhappy.

I told him that he CANNOT leave the dog, even if his family go somewhere really cool, he must stay home and train him to stay in the crate gradually for 10 mins at a time.

I told him it was unfair on his parents, he can move out when he is 16 in 2 year but his parents don't want their reputation ruined because of his dog.

I reminded him that he emotionally bullied his mum into letting him get the dog, so the dog is his responsibility and he should not need his parents to tell him what to do.

He has the book by gwen bailey, 'puppy school' but has not read it. I told him to read it, and a book I have lent him with a good section on crate training.

I also warned him that if he didn't get his act together and so something about it, then his mum was going to give me Bullseye back to rehome. And that if he continued to let the pup get upset and distressed when left, I would take him back.

I gave him instructions to have the dog in his crate in the same room as them to start, and ask him to 'settle' like we were taught at puppy class, then move the crate through the door but leave the door open so the dog can still hear, and gradually build it up.

I really hope he listens!

x

5. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I hope you get somewhere too because SA can be a nightmare if it develops.

btw, I'm not being funny, but is this really the sole responsibility of the lad? The parents are the grown ups and should be the ones dealing with this, not really asking you or him to do it. I might have misunderstood your posts but I got the impression that they were emotionally blackmailed into taking the pup, wasn't that a bit short-sighted of them - a pup is hardly a PS3 or ice cream! You say that they are concerned with neighbour complaints and that's understandable, but if the complaints were about loud music from the lad's bedroom would they not take the problem in hand themselves?!

Perhaps secretly, it is them who is seeking advice ;)

Do you still need some tips on SA or are you sorted with that now?

1 person likes this.
  6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I know it does sound a bit odd.. but yes, the son did pretty much blackmail his mum into letting him have Bullseye. They lost there goldie just a week before we moved in. They didn't want another dog. He was upset as he had stupidly got attached to a puppy who wasn't even theirs but told his mum that if Bullseye went to a different home it would be like losing their dog all over again!

The parents are perfectly capable of training a dog, their goldie was very well trained, but every time they tell the son a rule for the dog, or that something needs doing, ie poop scoop, he swears at them, ignores them, it's terrible!

I did think that the mum had changed her mind and fallen for the dog but she did tell me after that she only got him because she couldnt see her son that upset.

I do honestly regret letting them have him as it has caused nothing but arguments and make me feel guilty for the dog. he is well looked after though, he isn't mistreated. I just hate to see him looked after that little bit less than my pair are!

I do talk to them about lots of things, and in one discussion about the dog I mentioned I would have a word with him and see if I can get any sense out of it, as they are getting no-where.

I think we may finally get somewhere, tonight the son put Bully into his crate without a fuss (from him, not the dog! there is usually arguing as he wants to take him to bed).

I know getting a dog is supposed to be a family thing, and seeing them with their old dog it was diferent to how it is now. They have definately given 99% of the responsibility to the son, which I can see their point, all they do is pay for food and vets bills.

Sorry for the long post! :)

x

oh, ps- I know someone has mentioned before about it being bad because he lives close and I se him all the time, but Bullseye is the Only pup out of a litter of 9 who has SA, he is also the only one who spends most if not all, of his time with the family when they are in. I have pointed this out to them. He is not the only pup 'belonging' to a child either, one of the pups was a boy's 16th birthday present and he is doing great.

#6 PoisonGirl, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  7. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

How about suggesting training classes for the lad and dog? If it's a good class they will emphasise the responsibilities of dog ownership (that will be coming from a third party so more likely to sink in with the lad) and training methods will be fun and interactive. Added bonus - one of the parents will need to be at the class and this might jolt them into taking some responsibility too. ;)

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

We both went to puppy classes, both pups passed, it was good. BUT I did find out that if he wanted his own way, he would say ''the trainer said'' and his parents believed him until once he told them the trainer said it was ok to encourage him to jump up and bite sticks and I said it wasn't.
    He rarely still follows anything we were taught at puppy class anymore :(

There isn't a good adult training class, I was taking Dixie and it just isn't sructured atall. And I doubt a parent would come either, the dad isn't interested and the mum is just adament its the son's job.

9. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Definately sounds like it's the parents who need training here :( They are leaning on you far too much - why were you taking their dog and son to training classes?! Do any of the other pup's families call on you to sort out their parental misgivings?!

I would suggest you back away and do not get involved further because they will start to see you as their 'fix it' option. I can understand that you feel bad for Bullseye but the SA is something that the family must sort out for themselves

Be firm x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice