Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips on introducing Beagle pup to new rooms in house??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Warhurs90, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Warhurs90

Warhurs90 PetForums Newbie

Hi just wondering if any one has any advice/tips for me.
    I have a 15 week old beagle puppy, he has been home with us for about 5 weeks and has settled in great.
    He is in a routine of taking himself outside for the toilet and sleeps in his crate from 9pm until around 5am (it would be later but my OH gets up for work at this time and let’s him out to go toilet)
    He has been confined to the kitchen and garden since coming home with us, and is really well behaved apart from the crazy hour in the night when he is overtired. He has a designated couch which he is allowed on and loves to curl up on there.
    We now want to start introducing him to new rooms in the house and want to let him in the living room preferably before autumn and want to eventually get him a little cosy snug/bed area in there for him to chill with us of an evening after his long walk.
    We have tried a few times, and obviously he is overwhelmed with new smells and things to chew so he is really hyper and won’t settle even if he has just been out for a walk, he will start biting everything including us and digs on the couch.
    Has anyone got any tips on getting him comfortable and settle in new rooms?
    Thank you

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Has he got a piece of bedding, maybe a blanket or something, that can be moved to the new room? This might give him a place he knows is his own to settle in.

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I would get the bed/ mat or whatever it is you want him to use and train him to settle on that in the kitchen first. Make sure he understands the settle command and go to bed commands in the kitchen first. Make sure he can chew on his kong or toy and occupy himself.

When you try the new room, first take him in there on a short lead, allowing him to sniff and giving a firm 'leave it' if he is nosing onto areas you don't want (obvs remove precious ornaments from his range but you should be able to leave some things out and he should be able to be taught to leave them alone)

Use the bed that you have introduced in the kitchen first. Place that where you want it to be in the new room and tell him to go to it and settle.

You can then give an 'a ah' command if he tries to leave the bed.

I would do this when you are planning a quiet activity like watching tv/reading/ knitting etc where you are staying settled and seated yourself.

If you are up and down yourself then he will find it really hard to settle. All settle together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice