Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips on how to prevent Diarrhea in my cat?!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Leah2, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Leah2

Leah2 PetForums Newbie

My cat often gets really bad Diarrhea, my vet has done tests in the past and the tests came back that he didn't have anything major wrong with him and that it must be down to his diet.

So I have found a cat food that agrees with him (Go cat dried food) but this week his Diarrhea has came back and it's bad. He has recently been wormed so this isn't the issue.

Does anyone have any good food tips for Diarrhea?!

2. loopyloulou

loopyloulou PetForums Newbie

Hi, you should feed your kitten a bland diet in order to settle his stomach (Hills prescription diet I/D or Royal Canin sensitivity control) both come in wet and dry format and can be obtained from your vet (with their advice). At the same time you can also get from your vet a probiotic paste called Prokolin which you give them once or twice a day to settle their tummies (we use it for all our diarrhoea kittens at the shelter and it works fantastic!).
    How old is your kitten? They should be fed a tablespoon of wet & a small amount of dry 4x daily up until 12 weeks, then 3x up until 6 months. Over feeding is a great cause of upset tummies in kittens.
    If high end food is too costly, a great affordable food is Purina kitten dry (available from most supermarkets). The complete dry foods (all brown colour)are much better than Go cat & Whiskas mixed dry food (different colour biscuits) as they are more nutritional with better ingredients, where as the mixed contain a lot of sugar and colourings and not a lot of nutrition at all.
    Keep us posted and good luck to kitty :)

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Not to 'poopoo' the previous post but I would do some of it the complete opposite. The Prokalin is a great idea, but I disagree with the feeding advice.

I wouldn't be feeding dry to my cats at all - especially Go-cat with is so packed full of carbs that cats actually can't digest (and so have to poop out again and can irritate the gut on their way) and colours and sugars and additives that it's not surprising that cats a) can go hyperactive on it and b) can have tummy troubles.

I also wouldn't be feeding the expensive Hills etc ( a marketing ploy (imho) on the part of your vets - not needed, not necessary and expensive.

The best way (imo) to settle an upset tum is to go onto a bland diet of plain boiled chicken only (I wouldn't even add rice) - use the water the chicken is boiled in as a broth to add liquid to his diet. Kittens with dire-rear can become dehydrated very quickly and feeding dry is only going to exacerbate that, so as much moisture as possible in his food will help combat that. Feed this ONLY for at least 4 days and see how he goes. Although it is a complete diet your kitten will be fine on this for a couple of weeks whilst you sort out better nutrition for him.

Then look at changing his food. If you are absolutely resolute that you will only feed dry then look at grain free ones like Applaws, Orijen or Acana. Alternatively think about feeding a good quality wet which will supply your boy with loads of high quality protein very little carbs and lots of lovely moisture. And if you buy from the right places no more expensive than Whiskas or Felix. Especially good for neutered males. Read this thread. http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html and this one Feeding cats for beginners (and more seasoned cat owners alike) for ideas about why and what to feed.

So two polar apart replies - do your research and decide which one is for you.

#3 spid, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Agree totally with spid

5. loopyloulou

With all due respect to the above post, i was not talking about the 'standard' Hills food but the prescription type which is fed to cats with certain conditions ie, Renal failure, Urinary tract infections, Recovery, upset tummy etc. The i/d or sensitivity control is only fed in conjunction with Prokolin until the diarrhoea settles then normal food is gradually re introduced. This does not need to be continued and standard but good quality and affordable food like the Purina One can be gradually introduced once the tummy settles.
    The feeding guidelines are followed by most cat shelters under extensive research done by the FAB in order to provide the right amount of nutrition without overfeeding.
    With respect to the miriad of different opinions in regards to dry food, as a growing kitten it needs the choice of wet & dry, with dry giving them the 'crunch' factor cats desire (in a natural environment they would hunt and eat the bones), helping also to keep their teeth and gums in good condition by providing a 'brushing' action. I know my own cat has not been near wet food the last 5 years (she is 7 now) which was her own preference...my other 3 will eat everything :)
    The above post refers to the Hills as expensive, but stating you should feed your cat Applaws and Origen foods will surely send you bankrupt if you look at the pricing! Cats do fine on Whiskas and the like and without judging what you can afford, in this financial time not all of us can afford to buy luxury foods when people find it difficult to look after their families...Applaws is a natural but very rich food and we find it gives many kittens diarrhoea as it's very difficult for them to digest. It is also a complimentary food so will not provide all the nutrition they need.
    I am not a vet but have been working in a known cat charity for the last 12 years and can only give an opinion on what we have seen/learnt/treated with success (and some with not).

I think we all will have a varied opinion but at the end of the day Diarrhoea in kittens is very serious and i'm sure you just want to get your little one better...so seeking your vets advice asap is priority over what we say :)

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

hth op. . . . . . .

7. loopyloulou

Oooops, did not see you are a breeder... you probably can afford to feed a raw diet...cost of chicken these days? enough said.
    We currently have 498 cats on our waiting list just at our branch waiting to come in for rehoming....the vast majority come in on standard cat food (macdonalds to you i guess) and are in stunning condition (some at 17/18 & even 19 years of age fed only on tinned and cheap food), some on expensive food which we honour and carry on with. All the food we feed our cats is donated by the public at certain supermarkets, pet stores and the shelters. We cannot afford to buy it in. They get all sorts! but are in fantastic condition.
    With dry food, why deny a cat if it enjoys it?

The all time argument of the raw diet will never cease.
    At the end of the day do not judge if people can only feed commercial branded foods...be thankful that animals are being fed in this day and age...maybe you can donate some of this lovely food you talk of to the many cats in shelters?

8. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Thanks for that - talk about not judging! - I have ONE breeding girl - I am a small time breeder haven't had ANY kittens with her yet and certainly won't be making ANY money!!!!

We WERE talking about the OPs cat - NOT what happens in rescue! I have always admired what rescues do - despite the fact that because my hubby is in the forces we have often been treated like the scum of the earth and not allowed to adopt (apparently it's okay to die for your country but you can't be trusted to look after a cat!) - that's why we went the ped route and that's one of the reasons I breed because there are always going to be people who can't rescue no matter now much they try.

Have I in any way judged? I have merely pointed out that there are better foods FOR THE SAME PRICE IF NOT CHEAPER!!!!! And how do you know I don't donate food to rescue! I pass by those bins in the supermarket and often drop something in. Yes, something is better than nothing! Geez!

Get off your high horse and stop judging me just because I breed - maybe if we'd been allowed to adopt . . . . .

9. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I feed my kitten a mix of Smilla and Animonda wet which I buy online and it would out the same as supermarket prices.
    I've had a cat before who had a dicky tummy, I changed him (gradually) on to this food with the help of pro kolin and it cleared up within weeks. Really is the way forward I think

10. spid

spid PetForums VIP

To Leah2 - you really need to do your own research and decide which way is the best way forward for you and your cat - there are cheaper, better foods out there and if you can afford them then we are happy to point you in the right direction, if you want to continue on dry then that's fine, and if you want to look at raw that's fine too. These are all thing that can help you to decide on RISK. Dry CAN tend to lead towards renal problems you have to weigh up how much that risk is and decide what is best for you, your cat and your pocket etc. There are a couple of people on here who have tried to wean their cats off dry and it hasn't work - if it won't work then that's fine. If you make an informed decision that's the best you can do for your cat.

At the end of the day - this thread is about you and your cat's poorly tum. You've had two different almost opposing ideas of how to help. Choose the one that suits you best. And we shall endeavour to support you in whatever you decide. I can pint you in the direction of loads of research and threads about costs etc should you want.

Otherwise - I hope your cats tum and bum sort themselves out really soon. Piccies would be lovely so we can drool.

11. loopyloulou

judging???? nevermind...i honestly do not wish to enter into a not nice dispute with you. We come from 2 different worlds with different opinions and try to do whats right for our animals. Your view on shelters is very sad and upsetting...and we do not have animals 'die'!!!! :eek: ...but you can only feel that way through your experience i guess...and i don't know what that is.

I only wish for the op's kitten to get better which is what this thread is supposed to help with. Thanks

12. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Read the post - it was my HUBBY that was allowed to die - NOT a cat! My view on shelters is that they do a very good and needed job and I respect what they do - again read the post.

Bowing out now - I have said what is a good course of action - c'est toute

#12 spid, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I have come to the conclusion that one of my cats, Millie, has a sensitive tum and reacts badly to grains in food, certainly to dry food.
    She can tolerate a little Acana or Applaws grain free, but when I let her have some Hills Dental ( just for treats, honest! ) it really set her off, and trust me, being pure white and long haired this was not a nice thing for either of us!
    The plain boiled chicken is standard vet advice for these situations so I would try that straight away. I also find that Millie does very well on (home made) minced chicken, bone in as long as I am careful not to add too much liver or heart which can both loosen things up. This costs me far less to make up than many of the supermarket tinned foods.
    Whilst I agree that millions of cats do just fine on Whiskas etc, this particular cat does seem to have some specific kind of issue which may resolve on a natural meat diet.
    OP, do let us know how you get on.

14. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

By the way loopyloulou raw food can be way cheaper than any commercial cat food if you know where to source it. We are not talking supermarket chicken all the time!

If you decide to stay around here you will find that many members do donate food to shelters, foster kittens etc and generally go out of their way to help any cat. Many members are also on another forum as well and we raise lots of money as well for cat charities as well.

BTW I have a cat with Irritable bowel disease and was told by my vet to feed chicken. I did for a while and he was fine but with six other cats [two others who are also on special diets], I find it easier to feed RC sensitivity control wet.

15. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Oh, and forgot to add that the Prokolin has been of limited help in my case. I have been using Sacchromyces Boulardii probiotic which has helped,Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces boulardii + MOS - 90 Vegetarian Capsules and have ordered Protexin Enterogenic which I am looking forward to with interest.
    Pro-Kolin Enterogenic - Protexin Veterinary - Protexin
    This product contains elements that will help rebuild the gut wall which has become inflamed and aggravated by ongoing food intolerance.
    Animed - Search Results

16. loopyloulou

Thanks Cazzer...i respect other peoples opinions and do not judge (in my job you have to) and appreciate what you are saying. Sadly i find the reaction and judgement received today to my opinion to be a bit uncomfortable so with all due respect i will not be part of the forum but stay with the other (which is more rescue based and maybe more suited to the advice i can share, with like minded people). Thanks everyone

17. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

I think you might have misread some of the posts on this thread? I can't see any judgement there. Just a different opinion, nothing more.

spid likes this.
  18. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I'm sorry you feel like that - as far as I am concerned I didn't judge you - merely offered another opinion that you disagreed with and then you attacked me cos I breed. If that's what you feel you need to do, do it.

If we all thought the same what a boring world it would be. Why can't we just share ideas and then act on what we believe/ researched. You obviously think I have attacked you and I don't believe I did, I offered a different way which you didn't like. Each to their own.

You can accept what Cazzer and others said about raw and higher quality meats being cheaper but not me? Is that just because I breed? Aye, well, I wish you well and hope you don't leave the forum, but if you must you must.

19. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

For what it's worth...
    I think that the post soured when you said "just noticed you are a breeder" and made a comment about having more money than others. Why would being a breeder mean you have more money? I'd say it's probably totally the opposite. I dont see how that fact helped the op or why it needed bringing up. "enough said" made it clear you had judged I think.

Anyway, let's move on from this now and hope the kitty gets better soon.

I'd like you to stay, give the forum bit more time. :)

spid likes this.
  20. loopyloulou

There has never been an 'attack' on my part and i have not voiced any opinions on breeders. Maybe you can have a read back on the posts. I just wish that this is now left alone and the poor person who started the thread receives the correct help and for her kitten to get better. I have no problem debating on the other forum, but obviously this one is not the place for me!...simple :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice