Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips on choosing a vet?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DebsPink, Jul 15, 2009.

1. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

Hi, I need to choose between the two vets in my town, but not sure how. I've been into reception of both and they both seemed nice enough. One charges a bit more than the other for injections. Both offer free Puuppy checks. I haven't actually met the Vet in either. Would it be ethical to take the puppy to both for a free check and see which I like best?

Thanks,

Debs x

2. harmeetjohal

harmeetjohal PetForums Senior

i also have the same problem....

3. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Talk to other dog/animal owners and see what their dealings with vets are. Recommendation is aways best.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ask to be shown around the practice and to meet the team. Dont judge a vet solely on prices and the receptionist.

5. rona

rona Guest

Find a vet that does not take a succession of newly qualified vets that change every year. A vet that stays in a practice is far more likely to take an interest in your animal and know it's background.
    Also find out about their emergency service, as this is when you really need them

6. DebsPink

DebsPink PetForums Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've registered with both for now and will see how I get on.

Debs x

7. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

We take ours to the same as OH's mum's but the branch in our village rather than her's. She's been using them for about 16 years so we trusted her recommendation and they've been brilliant.

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Our vet was reccommended to us by a friend. There are other vets closer too us but we get discount of our vet and he will always fit us in. Freyja went after hours last week and we were only charged a normal consultaion charge were as technicly he could have charged us more:D

I would ask other people which vet they use and who they would reccommend. As others have said don't necessarily go with the cheapest they may not be the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice