Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

tips needed on housetraining a 7 week old german shepherd

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by vikki, Jan 16, 2008.

1. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

hiya does anyone have any tips on training a 7 week old german shepherd puppy? so far i have put her out every 20-30 minutes, i try going out with her but she does nothing but the minute you let her back in she'll sauat down and go to the toilet. i tell her off in a stern voice and put her back outside. but i don't think she's understanding this as nothing has changed. so i also tried putting her out with our older dogs to see if she could learn off them but she still will not do anything outside. i tried newspaper but she pees beside it and i also tried some dogs pads i bought from a pet shop to no avail. i have tried putting her in a crate but after 10 minutes she peed in her own bed. i think this is very strange as dogs don't usually go toilet in their own beds! please help!

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Hi,
    You'll need lots of patience,a puppy doesn't have any control over there bladder until they are around 6 months old.
    You are doing the right thing by taking your pup out,stay out there with her until she performs,however long it may take,reward with lots of praise & a high value treat such as cheese,chicken etc......

Maybe link a word such as Be a "clean" Girl whilst she is performing,so she assoicates the two together,personally I never use paper as I think it tends to take puppies longer as you are giving the signal it's ok to go indoors.

When she Toilets Indoors,simply pick her up put her outside,don't say anything to her,Ignore what she has done & clean the area with Biological washing powder to get rid of the smell.Telling her off may result in her going when your not looking or covering up the evidence.

Young pups need to go out every hour,after meal times,playtimes,sleep etc....

3. Magik

Magik Guest

She still only very young so you cant expect too much. Most pups dont leave their mothers til 8weeks.

It was hard work for me with my dog. I had him from just 5weeks. Keep putting your dog in the area you want her to go and if she does it inside try to stop her mid flow and take her outside then praise her.

I know it's frustrating but she will get there. Dont be too harsh on her for her mistakes as it can make things worse. Concentrate on praising her for the good things she does. Reputition is the key. She will get there.

Good luck

4. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

thanks for both of your replys. i think what sally said about telling her off is proven to be true as now she does do it where we can't see and also tries covering it. i will try and stop her mid flow and clean the area with what you said as i was using vinegar to clean it as someone else recomended. when she does it outside i will praise her and hopefully things will get better :)

5. Magik

Magik Guest

it will get better....but it does take time and patience.

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

She has seen a lot of changes in her short life, so she is probably a bit confused at the moment, she will get it.

7. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

yes she has by leaving her mum at 5 and a half weeks to a buyer then to our friend that got fed up and then to us with all our dogs! when i look at it like that the poor mite has only been alive 7 weeks and has already been through so much stress

8. garryd

garryd Guest

as take that say just have little patience!

9. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

:) here's a pic of the little 'jet'

Attached Files:

10. garryd

garryd Guest

i am not being negitive so dont burn me,but most dogs dont fair well when they leve there mother so soon i have found ,you gotta be carefull as they can wee and poo in there own bed because of this! i have been told that its because there mother has not had chance to lead them away from the baskit ! she will be fine but i am just saying its some thing to watch out for ,so be patience;)

11. Magik

Magik Guest

I dont know if you saw the Take That documentary... but that song was actually written about house training a puppy. Thats a fact!

Lovely dog!!!!

12. Tweedle Dee

Tweedle Dee PetForums Member

The way i train our pups is to do as you are doing really. I put them out to toilet every 10 - 20 mins, also when they wake, when they have eaten, when they have had a drink etc. If you watch them carefully you can usually tell they are going to toilet by there body language..esp the poop's as they often circle.

I take them to the garden..i have a stone chip area that the dogs are allowed to use and basically wait, usually the first few days they mess around and jump up for attention, i just ignore them until they go, once they start to go i say 'buisy's' (you can say anything really as long as you are consistent :D) , then i make a fuss of them and take them back inside. They usually click within a couple of days, sometimes quicker. My youngest pup's are 11 and 12 weeks and they are pretty much trained now, both of them will run to the door to go to the loo and will dart out go and run straight back inside. We still have the odd accident (which i never scold them for) if they do start to go and i see them a simple 'tsssst' tends to stop them and i scoop them up, put them outside and give them the Buisy command.

Anyway thats how i do it and it seems to work fine ...most of the time :p

Im sure your pup will learn, she's still very young..oh and my pup's (esp the springer) pee in their crates too :rolleyes:

Good luck,

Ang x

13. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

thanks for everone's info it's been very useful. i've got a few new things to try now. i allways use the 'go toilet' word so hopefully she will pick this up. she had another accident a minute ago and i stopped her midway and put her out, she just sat by the door for the first 10-15 minutes, then she went and finished her wee. so i praised her and gave her a peice of ham.

14. Brainless

Brainless Guest

Neat small ears for a shepherd.

I always say ours look like GSD's at about 10 to 14 weeks.
    [​IMG]

15. vikki

vikki PetForums Junior

that's a very cute pic of an elkhound pup. i have always liked the breeds that are husky looking, and when i was younger i used to walk an old lady's samoyed. he sadly got water on his lungs when he was 7 and had to be put to sleep.
    we were considering a northern inuit, but we don't know a great deal about that breed, also maybe a siberian husky. but we looked at lot of sites and i don't think it would be good keeping a siberian husky in a house as a pet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice