Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips for Crickets, Locusts and Mealworms for Pet Leopard Gecko...

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by kathy150280, Jul 19, 2009.

1. kathy150280

kathy150280 PetForums Newbie

Does anyone have any tips for the live food being crickets, locusts and mealworms, which I feed to the two leopard geckos which I have.

I would like to know best way to keep them, like how to feed and what to keep them in.

Any comments would be appreciated. Hope you can help??

Thanks guys.

:idea::idea::idea::idea::idea:

2. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

i keep mine in the tubs they come in,
    i give mine bits of veg, fruit and also fish food as it is high in protein, x

3. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

If you are going to use them all within a week then just leave them in the tubs. If it's longer than that, you can buy Kricket Keepers to put them in, or just a normal plastic tank.

Locusts need to stretch their legs though, so they will need a plastic tank to live in.

Mealworms can just stay in the tub though, just keep adding bran/weetabix for them to eat and burrow in. Mealworms should only be fed as a treat - once a month maybe. They have high levels of chitin intheir exo skeletons which can be hard for lizards to digest and can cause impaction.

Feed them all on Spring greens - it's high in calcium. Other fruit and vegs can be given too. Just stay away from spinach as this is calcium binding

4. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

mealworms shed their skin regular therefore providing you feed the ones that have just shed (the white ones) they are fine and part of a natural diet, the chitin is in the skins of the ones that havent shed and look brown in colour.

5. LeoKeeper

LeoKeeper PetForums Junior

"Mealworms can just stay in the tub though, just keep adding bran/weetabix for them to eat and burrow in. Mealworms should only be fed as a treat - once a month maybe. They have high levels of chitin intheir exo skeletons which can be hard for lizards to digest and can cause impaction."

Leopard Gecko keeps often use Mealworms for reg feed I know I have for years..they don't make much of a treat :p there one of the preferred gecko feeds

Crickets can be so annoying! :p ..... if they get out so a cricket feeder is a great idea

Waxworms are the real treat ;o....Leopard Geckos cant get enough...but thats with good reason :p there the junk food of Lizards.

6. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

Yeah, that's when they turn into pupae. The next stage before the turn into beetles.
    The chitin is in their exo skeletons.

Why is it on this forum that when someone gives advice, it's simply ignored?

Just because something has been done for a long time, doesn't necessary means it's correct. Just like keeping lizards on sand.

If a lizard likes something, but doesn't have it all that often, then it can easily be a treat.

Other feeder insects are easier to gut load and dust than mealies - so along with the chitin, that why I only feed every now and then.

7. ninja

ninja PetForums VIP

8. kathy150280

kathy150280 PetForums Newbie

Thanks guys for all your informative help, learnt a lot. :thumbup1: :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice