Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips for car journey with new puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by silverbeetle, Aug 13, 2009.

1. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

We are collecting our new Westie puppy Freddie tomorrow morning - very excited but also quite nervous about our long car journey (approx 3 hours). Can anyone offer any advice about this first car journey?

I have kitchen roll and towels in cases of accidents. He has not yet had any injections so we can't stop to let him out of the car (he is booked into the Vet on Monday for his first check and injections). My hubby will be driving and I will be in the back with Freddie.

I have read that ginger biscuits can help if he is car sick - is this true? but should I feed him anything whilst in the car? I have got a travel bowl and will take some water.

We are so excited - we are first time puppy owners. We can't wait to get him home and settled in. Have been reading so many books and this forum for tips. I feel just like a kid at Christmas!!

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

2. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

My advice would be to drive straight home without a stop. Pup may be a little whimpery after all your total strangers so when i collected mine, i let him lay on my lap on a towel (in case he was sick which he wasnt). Have a bottle of water so he can have a drink but i'd suggest not feeding him (the breeder may well have done this anyway), do that when you get home.

Once home let him explore a little and a toilet outside, dont have too many people around to frighten him. I introduced mine to his crate and after a little sniffing around, he went in and had a sleep.

Good luck!

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

When I fetched my pup it was a far longer journey than that. Took about 8 hours to get home. I started with her on my lap but she screamed and shouted so I put her in her cage in the back and she still screamed and shouted but at least it wasnt directly into my ear :) She wasnt vaccinated but I risked it and gave her several walks on the way which seemed to help. Most dogs are vaccinated nowadays and out of towns you are fairly safe. You can always find places that dont look like dog walking areas. She did eventually settle and coped very well but was definitely happier in the cage. Luckily she wasnt sick. I did once fetch 2 pups with just a half hour journey and had to keep stopping to mop up and the smell was gross by the time we got home so it is the luck of the draw.

4. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We had a two hour journey with our pup and she wasn't really happy at first and tried to get to the windows but after a short while she lay on a blanket in the middle of my two daughters in the back seat and she was fine. She whimpered a bit and she still whimpers in the car although she's not sick.
    This was her on the way home.
    [​IMG]

I would take some baby wipes too and maybe a little toy for your new puppy to chew or something.

#4 Jazzy, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  5. silverbeetle

silverbeetle PetForums Member

Many thanks for advice.

Jazzy your puppy looks gorgeous. I can't wait to get Freddie home!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice