Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tips for a house guest!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 0310star, Jul 11, 2017.

1. 0310star

0310star PetForums Senior

We have our rescue dogs brother coming to stay at the weekend while his owners are away, they were separated at 4 months and we saw them winter before last (about 8-10 months later) and went for a long walk and all dogs got on great, and the boys definitely recognised each other (we have the rescue and 1 other dog)
    Our dogs are both dog friendly and obviously this dog isn't a total stranger, but I just wanted some tips on how to introduce the situation properly...
    I want the weekend to go without a hitch so any tips on how to tackle first entering the house/feeding/sleeping arrangements would be very much appreciated!

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Get them to meet outside and take them all for a decent walk together before going into the house. Don't let the visitor push your dogs out of their beds or interfere at feeding times (when any trouble is most likely to kick off). Also, avoid leaving any toys or chews lying about that there could be guarding/conflict over. Lots of outdoor activities and enjoy them!

Darkangelwitch and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. 0310star

Thank you! I don't want to over think it (which I have a habit of doing) and make matters worse. We will feed him separately as both of ours do tend to get a bit protective of their bowls but they know to stay out of each others way so its not an issue for them but a new dog may not know that. and good idea about putting the toys away - Rusty (the one who's brother is coming) is a sod for not being able to share so probably a wise move lol
    I think it will do my 2 dogs good anyway to have another in the house as they are so used to being just them!

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Also, make sure you have the wherewithal to live with them separately in case it doesn't work with them together; a crate, baby gate, that sort of thing.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. 0310star

We have a baby gate so that's not a problem.
    I guess the only bit I am worried about is night time, should we separate them for the first night?

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I would - and possibly for other nights depending on how it goes. Sleeping together requires a level of trust that may not be there with such a short stay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice