Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tiny is up the chimney!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by egyptianreggae, Nov 1, 2014.

1. egyptianreggae

egyptianreggae PetForums VIP

Moving house today. We shut the cats in the living room. Tiny ran up the chimney before we could stop him. We can't get him out- he hasn't gone very far up but he's out of reach. He will eat Dreamies from my hand but not come low enough for us to grab him. I think we're going to have to leave him behind with food, water and litter tray and cons back tomorrow :(

2. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Oh dear not good timing have you tried luring him out with a mouse toy or something stinky treats maybe otherwise I'm sure he'll come out at some point when he gets hungry.

3. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I would leave him with some water and a tray but maybe no food and then come back after a couple of hours when it's all quietened down. Bring some food with you and maybe a radio and just sit and wait for him to venture out later this afternoon. I'm sure he will when he's hungry and feels it's safe to do so. I would just be wary about leaving him overnight tonight as I'm sure there will be a lot of fireworks which could frighten him even more. I'd try to get him out this afternoon if you can.

4. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Can you try and fool him into thinking you have left.....I'm sure he isn't going to stay up there long as soon as he knows he isn't the centre of your attention any more... You need to be as sneaky as he is and try to outwit him!!!!

5. egyptianreggae

He's out! He came out on his own and is now safely imprisoned in the cat carrier, much to his disgust!

6. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

PHEW!!!! Hope he settles in quickly now.

7. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

So pleased Tiny is out :) :)

Didn't want to post this until I knew - a few years ago we looked after a friend of a friends cat, bit of a long story but I'll keep it short, a big lovely friendly grey boy called Dash, he was absolutely fine when he got here, him and Frank hit it off straight away, he was here a day then he went up the chimney and stayed there for 4 days :eek: nothing would make him come out, put food in the fire place, smelly fish, nothing would tempt him. I even rang the RSPCA for a trap to put at the bottom of the fire place, their answer was no! :(

He eventually came down, ate for England and was as fine apart from being a bit sooty :) we nick named him Santa :D

Hope all goes well with the move ER, good luck and best wishes to you and your boys in your new home xx

#7 sarahecp, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Ah thats great news! I expect he was just looking for Secret Santa!;) X

9. Misi

Misi PetForums VIP

When we were still living in the UK, a friend of mine offered to look after the cats (Tarka and Misi in those days) while we came over to Italy to spend Christmas with OH's parents. Misi was naughty the whole time, nicking turkey off dinner plates for one thing, but the funniest thing she did was disappear up their chimney on Christmas day!

10. sarahecp

We have a ledge up there, couldn't have been comfortable for poor Dash :( Seb sits up there sometimes :confused: silly boy, just to get filthy I suppose knowing Seb :rolleyes: :D

11. georgypan

georgypan PetForums Senior

The little rascal! I'm glad he came down of his own accord as you wouldn't have slept if you'd had to leave him overnight. Henry went up the chimney not long after we got him but he didn't like it up there and came down quite quickly. We rarely light the gas fires so now we have both chimneys blocked with paper bags just in case one of them decides to go for an explore.

12. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Thank goodness for that!

13. egyptianreggae

Now that I've had a chance to calm down a little, I thought I'd come back to thank you all for your kind comments and stories and to elaborate a little about what happened...we had all three cats in the living room while the removal men packed up the house. I came into the room to see Tiny's back legs and tail disappearing up the chimney and shouted for help, but I was too late. It was the weirdest thing, I was laughing hysterically and then suddenly started weeping and one of the removal men gave me a hug!

We tried to tempt him down with food, but he wasn't having any of it. He was just out of reach...I could pull his tail and hold a back paw, but I couldn't get enough grip on his hindquarters to drag him down. Eventually, my flatmate sat next to the chimney and talked to him in a quiet voice, saying, "You're going to be very lonely up there all night, Tiny. We're all going to the new house to have fun without you, and you'll be cold and all on your own in the empty house, and there'll be nobody to play games with you or sing to you."

At that, Tiny started miaowing loudly and started moving about, and then my flatmate realised he could open a grille to make it easier for him to get out, and he NEARLY had him, and then....well, then I came into the room and Tiny shot up the chimney again :(

While we were plotting our next move outside the door, I suddenly heard a big commotion, and entered the room to find a terrible mess and a grimy, sorry-looking tabby and white cat in the middle of the carpet. He made a dash for the chimney again and I threw myself between him and the fireplace like a goalkeeper, grabbed him, and cathandled him into his cat basket, where he remained for the rest of the afternoon, instructed to think about what he had done.

Then I regained my good humour and serenaded him with 'Chim Chim Cheree' as we drove down the motorway in my very best Dick van Dyke voice :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Oh Tiny.. the days of when we sent cats up chimneys are well and truely past!!! Look at the bloomin' mess you made.... If you were a black cat you might have got away with it!!!! :D

15. egyptianreggae

Perhaps the days of sending cats up chimneys should return, or better still, teach them how to operate carpet cleaners! Little varmint, why I oughta...!

16. sarahecp

Oh Tiny, look at the mess you made :D :D by the look on his face he couldn't give a hoot :D :D

Hope you and the boys have settled in to your new house :)

17. egyptianreggae

You're right, he really does look completely unrepentant! I have an amazing photo of all three boys (including my flatmate's cat Vlastelin) asleep on my bed together! I will post it up when I can :)

18. sarahecp

Look forward to seeing the photo :)

19. Polski

Polski PetForums VIP

Loving the little sooty pawprints!

I have gas fires and the holes under them are not big enough for a cat but I did have a guinea pig go up there once...I was in a state of panic as there are ignition wires he could have got to but I quickly learned how to dismantle the fire and then duct taped the opening as Shadow was a free running piggy only in his cage at bed time...I only had one cat at the time and he was out usually.

20. egyptianreggae

Oh, that must have been horrifying,I wouldn't know where to start dismantling a gas fire. My first hamster Thistle vanished up our gas fire once, shortly after unexpectedly coming back to life after my cat George got her. My dad spent hours sitting next to the fire with a plastic bowl, ready to trap her. I also dropped her in a bucket of water once. She had nine lives, that hamster...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice