Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Timothy hay causing severe allergic reactions, any advice?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by DinoLauren, Feb 13, 2019.

1. DinoLauren

DinoLauren PetForums Newbie

Hey all!

My buns used to be on the usual Hay from a local supplier which would very rarely give me allergic reactions as bad as I am getting at the moment with the Timothy hay.

It's gotten to the point where anti-histamines are not working at all and my throat is closing up and chest is hurting. I have been to the doctors about it but they pushed me away with anti-histamines. Is there much that they can do? If you have similar what do you use or suggest?

Thanks!

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Timothy is the worst one if you have a hay allergy. Try Meadow hay or Orchard grass instead and see if your symptoms are better with those. Timothy is a big trigger!

Also make sure any hay you use is dust extracted.

DinoLauren and lorilu like this.
  3. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

Have a look on YouTube for a YouTube called Lennon the Rabbit (or Lennon the bunny) and look for a video called “ I’m allergic to my rabbit” she is a YouTube who knows LOADS about house rabbit care and is also allergic to Timothy hay

DinoLauren likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice