Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Timid Rat tips

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Catherine1234, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Catherine1234

Catherine1234 PetForums Newbie

Hi. We’ve had our two boy rats for a month now. There are a couple of things we wondered if anyone could help with. The first is our rats are complete opposites. One is super playful and friendly etc. The other however, is still very timid and hides behind the cage when he comes out. He will come close (ish) for food and is quite curious but he still will not be touched and runs away at sight of movement. We realise that they have different personalities but the rat that seems more social is much bigger and seems to be thriving more than the other. So we wondered if anyone had any suggestions to help us to build confidence/trust? The other thing I wanted to ask is for suggestions on how to get both rats back in the cage after play time with us. This is more so for the timid one but each takes constant coaxing and luring with treats to get them back in, this can take up to 20 minutes

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Until they get used to being handled (even then knowing fun time is over doesn’t help ;)) I used to place a small wicker basket in front of them to climb into - then hold it up to the cage to climb in themselves.

3. Catherine1234

Catherine1234 PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much, we’ve managed to master the getting them back home situation. However my rat (the timid one) Crunchie will not tolerate (still) any form of movement/touching when he’s with us :( I’m becoming increasingly worried and we have tried everything the internet has instructed :Arghh But thanks for the help! Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

4. techfool

techfool PetForums Newbie

You have to deal with the fear pooping for a few days but I force myself on new rats. I pick them up and put them down again, gradually holding them for longer periods, tickle them in their cage, put them down my clothes (they quite like this as they are still hiding). Yes, it does involve me chasing them to start with but I feel that if you let them run away and hide too much it will become a habit. After a week (max) they are tame.

5. TriggerLucy

TriggerLucy PetForums Newbie

It just takes patience. Put some peanut butter on your finger and let him lick it off so he associates you with good things. I found that leaving the cage open and just ignoring them whilst you do something else, and letting them come out at their own pace is good. But it can take weeks or months for the rat to be comfortable climbing out by themselves like that, every rat is different.
    Make sure you talk to him in a soft voice every time you walk past.
    If you get him out, get him under a blanket with you so he can walk around your legs and get used to you scent, but still feel safe because of the blanket.

6. RH9745

RH9745 PetForums Newbie

A useful one is a some baby food as a treat! Smear some on the inside of the lid and hold it for your timid wee one to lick from, that way they have to stay close to you to get the treat. Do this often and each time slowly moving a little closer to the edge of the cage door. When they are happy to come to the door and sit and eat from the lid, try your luck with a gentle stroke whilst they're eating! Hope this helps, really helped me with timid Mike when his brother Sully was not at all timid!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice