Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Time off for whelping?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by pearltheplank, Mar 31, 2011.

1. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Noting some comments on others threads about time or lack of it sometimes. What time off work do you take for whelping and raising litters. I now its going to vary due to experience but wonder if it varies greatly

2. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

I am extremely lucky to have always had the capacity to work from home when I've had a litter - so in my case, actually not that much time off.

IF I was employed - there's no way I could breed - because I wouldn't be able to rest thinking of the litter being 'home alone' - I have sometimes had to go away overnight with work or shows, and my OH / daughter - and occasionally my late father came and sat with them / did what was required.

As they get older - some do leave them for short periods - I'm afraid I couldn't - in 3 litters - my pups have had just one 5 hour stint of being unsupervised and then my dog walker came in every 1.1/5 hours to check on them / clean them / feed them (and managed to blow my electrics when she was here :rolleyes::) - I was actually bringing another pup home that day so it was, a touch mad to say the least :rolleyes::

#2 swarthy, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  3. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

i`m also lucky that i work p/t from home. My litter were never left unsupervised as if i had to do work i had the pups in my office to keep my eye on them.
    I am fortunate to be in this position & wouldn`t have bred the litter if circumstances are different as i would be too worried to trust them to anyone else lol

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i don't work so am at home all the time.

5. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

Looking back at the responses, I guess it doesn't really answer your question.

In my opinion, you would ideally need around 8/9 weeks - to be with the bitch for at least a week before her due date, through to when the pups are 7/8 weeks old.

6. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I used to have a few days off when the litter was due, Mom does all the hard work with the puppies for the first two-three weeks. Then I would have week 6,7 and 8 off as this is when you really can't leave them for too long. I only work part time now so its less of a problem. Oh and it helps if you have a great, flexible, dog loving Mom !;)

7. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

I teach so I try and plan my litters so that they are due during one of my holidays - I generally have the first 2 weeks with mum and babes - then hubby takes the next 2 weeks and we then hand over to our puppy/dog sitter who sits with them from 8am until 3pm ( we pay her £25 a day for this with meals included ) for the final 4 weeks and then it's usally my next holiday ! .

Both hubby and I are taking early retirement in July so it'll all get much easier then !

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't have time off as my OH doesn't work so is at home all the time. If the bitch should start labour while I am at work I always have my phone with me and am literaly 2 minutes away from home. When we are in the last week of her pregnancy I start to go to work in my car so I can get home quickly if needed. Should my car not start I can get home in 10 minutes walking anyway. I am still using the car just in case I need to get home quickly and will continue to do so until the pups have gone to their new homes. They are 7 weeks old now.

9. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

I had the first 5 weeks off, I work for an agency so I am able to take time off as and when I want (obviously dont get paid though :(). I went back part time for the last 3 weeks and my son is at college so between us they were never left for very long. Trust me you cant leave 8 vizsla puppies without them getting up to something:rolleyes: The agency I work for is closing next week so I may have to get a real job:( and I wont consider having a litter if I am working and I can't take time off. Or on the other side make sure I am doing right by my employer as well

10. tillywink

tillywink Banned

My partner and I both work from home and thankfully we can pick and choose the hours we work.

I wouldn't even consider a litter if I worked away from home and couldn't commit to 8 weeks off work.

11. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

With them 24/7 for the first three weeks, not left then until they go to their new homes but for the first three weeks they are whelped and live in my bedroom alongside my bed ;) they then move into the kitchen/dining room until they are ready to go to their new homes :001_smile:

12. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Only had 1 litter so far but I took week off from due date and husband took following 2 weeks off so he could do the night shift..........I am a childminder so work from home so they were never really left alone as also brought in my niece for when I was out and about with the kids.
    Would really think you would need full 8/9 weeks then a year off to recover:lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice