Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Time Off Between Litters?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jess2308, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Hi There,

I thought i would post this up for alternative opinions... I just got some grief on another forum i rarely use for mentioning that a (very popular...lol) member had bred their bitch very close. It had a litter last September and has just gone off to the stud last week to be put in pup again.

Now, whilst this is not against the breed club code of ethics as apparently the bitch has had a season in between (she must have them very regularly!!) but it did just strike me as not being enough time for the bitch to fully recover from the litter. It is a small breed dog, and she had 2 pups so not a big litter, but it does take a lot out of the bitch to carry, whelp and raise a litter so, for me, i wouldnt put my girls back in pup for at least 18 months after the last litter, probably more like 2 years! The only bitch we've had 2 litters from had the second one 2 & 1/2 years after.

Maybe im being too fluffy about it. What do other people think?? How long do other breeders generally leave between litters?

Ta.

Jess

2. cav

cav PetForums VIP

my girl had 1 pup on her first litter so i waited 12 months and she had seven this time but i wont be breeding from her again ;)

i like to leave at least 12 months between mine because it does take alot out of them also i think it is down to litter size as well!

3. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

If my bitches have seasons under 12 months i miss 2 seasons
    If my bitches have seasons over 12 months i miss 1 season

I dont take into count how many pups the girls have as i think being preggers is enough for them to cope with anyways

I like to give my girls the biggest breaks i can and will only breed twice 9 times out of 10 with my girls

4. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Depends on when we want a puppy but always miss one season inbetween, except in the case of my welsh springer she had to have a ceasar after starting to abort pups and lost the lot, we were advised to breed from her next season 'to put everything back in place' we did and she produced a good healthy litter, we were told if we had waited a 12 month she probably would have needed another ceasar as the uterus adheres to the wound on occasions.

5. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

personally i dont like back to back breeding as the bitch needs time to get back to health before even comtemplating another litter
    although sadly in the wild , dogs would mate every season without a rest or a choice

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice