Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tilly's Nighttime Troubles Part II

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Arny, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

After all your good advice we managed to get Tilly to sleep to a more reasonable hour but I'm back for more help!
    Ever since the clocks went back we've got the opposite issue.
    She now barks half an hour-hour after we go up, something she hasn't consistently done since March.
    We come down to settle her but sometimes this takes 2-3 goes.

When you go in sometimes it seems she doesn't know you're there, she does because she stops barking, but she just stands there blankly for a few seconds.
    She's also started coming into the living room in the evening, she hasn't done this for quite a while as she hated the memory foam bed I bought her for in the living room.
    She'll pace around trying to sleep somewhere, often trying to curl up against things are that aren't comfortable!
    She will use her bed once she's wandered around realising nothing else is as good and particularly as I've added a topper to it.

I wonder if a night light where she sleeps will help for when we go to bed.

IMG_2309.JPG

2. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Clock changes can often have HUGE effects on animals - I have the comprehension of a human brain to understand what happened and I'm still somewhat discombobulated by the change! It's very good that you've IDed this as the cause. Not useful now, but please make a note somewhere that she struggled with this, so that you remember she's particularly sensitive to it come the spring and next autumn. You might find that making smaller changes in smaller increments helps in the future.

I'll leave the actual sleep routine stuff for right now advice to others.

Arny and LinznMilly like this.
  3. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Thanks @Torin. In what way might I do smaller changes? Changing what time we go to bed gradually instead of the full hour change?

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yeah, do day 15 minute chunks or there abouts gradually changing. Even two half hour shifts is considerably easier for animals than one singular hour jump. Maybe start shifting things the week before the official clock change and then settle down the week after, or similar. My routine isn't dead on time with getting up and going to bed, and nor do I feed people at clock-specific times so my animals are actually less confused by things than I am. But if they were I'd start switching things up a bit so it's less of a sudden lurch for them.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

That's great, thank you.
    We do tend to go to bed the same time each night so it may have unsettled her, getting up is completely based on what time Tilly feels we should be up.

Torin. likes this.
  6. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

It's definitely sent her loopy, I'll find her just staring vacantly at walls.

It doesn't help that I think her back pain is worse (her spine is compressing nerves in her lower back causing chronic pain) so it's hard to know if there are two separate issues going on.

For it to start as soon as the clocked changed I think there must be.
    I've ordered a night light, I'm not hopeful but it's all I can think of at the moment.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Is it worth buying a new bed that she does like? If she’s uncomfortable, that won’t help.

(I’ve been there with Jack ..... Princess and the Pea ;). I have a brand new expensive bed lying redundant in the conservatory that he just won’t use that’s going on eBay :))

Is she on pain meds? That might help.

If she were mine I’d be inclined to have her sleep in my room which might give everyone a decent night’s sleep at least. Maybe she just needs you nearby?

On the odd occasion you might leave her with someone she’ll likely be a bit unsettled anyway.

8. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

I've ordered a round one as she attempts to curl up on the cats bed so hoping she likes that. Only problem I hadn't realised the lead time was 6-8 weeks! Hopefully here before Christmas.
    She does like the memory foam one much more now its got a thick mattress topper.
    She's also got another one in the dining room and then her most used one in the utility.
    6 x 100mg gabapentin a day and 1/2 a paracetamol as and when.
    Unfortunately the pain meds have had to be upped twice since she was diagnosed in July.
    Its quite sad that's it's 'just' pain. If there was more physical deterioration it might be easier to comprehend. Her legs are getting weaker but no where near the same extent as her pain.
    If my room was ground floor and didn't have the cats litter trays in I would. As the cats need constant access it means my door has to be open and previously when Tilly's had access to the landing she has a habit of weeing there, no matter how soon after she'd been out. She doesn't wee anywhere else.
    I also don't think it would be good to have her going up and downstairs often (but I'm not positive if this affects her condition).

Thank you, it may be something I do have to seriously consider or move permanently into the dining room :D

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

Thought I'd update.
    It feels like we've made some progress for now.

She's still barking shortly after we go to bed but I've figured out if I come down and wait with her for 10 mins she'll be fine after and not bark again. She's got me well trained :D
    She's generally getting up after 8am or close to.

She had her booster at the end of Nov and the vet recommended melacutin supplement as she was losing hair on her flanks (we did a thyroid test too but came back normal).
    This could well have helped with her sleep pattern too as its melatonin although I've no doubt the darkness has also improved things.

Her new bed hasn't arrived yet but she is spending more time sleeping on her living room bed anyway.

Torin. and LittleMow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice