Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Tilly learns to find the keys. Rainy day brain game

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tabelmabel, Feb 8, 2019.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

The weather here is absolute pants. We got out for a short spell this morning.

And learned a new trick this afternoon! So - from scratch Tilly learned this in under 10 minutes.

Murphy was involved in exactly the same teaching process from the start and - as you can see - no progress at all!!

Tilly is crashed out now. And so is Murphy! Bless him!

Ps apologies for my very loud voice!!

2. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Wow that's amazing!
    Well Done you and Tilly.

LOL Poor Murphy . don't worry boy, I'm sure you can learn other tricks.

How did you teach that?

tabelmabel likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

First i put a collar onto the key ring so that Tilly had something to get hold of.

Then I got her and murphy interested in the keys just by jingling them and saying 'keys'. Then i checked they could hold them by the collar. Just by presenting the collar part and saying 'take it'

I got both dogs into a sit and threw the keys just a short distance away in the same room.
    I sent murphy to 'find the keys' he wandered over pretty aimlessly and did nose the keys so i gave a small piece of sausage treat for that.

Tilly was beside herself waiting for her turn. She dashed over and nosed them too but she is a good little retriever so i expected a bit more. I added in 'fetch' initially she sort of sniffed them over and started to return to me.

I said 'go back' (she knows this from gundog work)

She picked them up and i quickly called her to me and gave a treat.

Few more of those.

Then i had her select the keys from a rubber bone and a ball line up.

Then she found the keys hidden under some fabric. (Murphy's well out of it by now!)

Then i hid them in the kitchen and sent her for them. Not too tricky a place. Just behind a door and i left the collar easy to grasp.

I think we will keep practising that though as it could come in very handy!

I do play a lot of finding games with Tilly which is why she has picked that up quicker than murphy. But it's usually find the dummy or find the treat. The keys aren't as smelly so this should be harder. Served its purpose anyway. She is knackered and still slumbering!

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Well done Tilly and Murphy for effort.

tabelmabel likes this.
  5. DolomiTTe

DolomiTTe Kitty Collector

Well done Tilly! Had you glued Murphy's paws to the carpet?

tabelmabel likes this.
  6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh I love it :)
    Great job!

tabelmabel likes this.
  7. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Member

Lovely! I taught this years ago to one of my gundogs - problem was he kept bringing me keys all the time in the hope of reward!

tabelmabel likes this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Very good. We had a collie who, in his previous home, had swallowed the car keys. Had to have surgery before the owner could drive his car. He was still allowed keys and we did a club demo at a show where all the dogs were doing heelwork but my husband and Roy were playing the fool and not doing proper heelwork (on purpose) then my husband dropped his keys and after a bit 'noticed' and sent Roy back for them.

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

That's Brilliant, I have sent that info to myself for when we get home to try & teach Emma.
    You will be amused to learn I have just shown it to 3 Canadian friends sitting here in the lobby of the hotel as we unable to venture out today due to an ice storm & they all think you & your dogs are amazing!

Sarah H and tabelmabel like this.
  10. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Lol no - he's focussed on the plate with the sausages! Maybe he is the clever one - he's missed out the task and jumped straight to the end of the sequence :D
    Only you could have posted that @Blitz!! You and Burrowzig have turned out to be my favourite posters on the forum. Both of you have me laughing regularly - love the way you say it how it is :D:D:D

That's very kind of them! Thank you and enjoy Canada! I would love to go to Canada :)

DaisyBluebell and Blitz like this.
  11. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

Good job. I started teaching Holly this a couple of weeks ago, although have only done one session so far. I've been teaching her via shaping as she learns really well when she has to think for herself. A really useful thing to teach as I'm forever losing my keys.

Murphy is demonstrating a solid stand-stay around multiple distractions ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice