UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have had children visit the house before, and Tig is a very reserved girl who will come to say hello when she feels safe, and will happily be stroked by children on her terms- and never for long.

So I was really surprised when my friend visited with her 18 month old son- not only did Tig come downstairs (she stays upstairs with unknown children usually) but she went STRAIGHT up to him, headbutted him, sniffed at him and sat right by him for the rest of the time he was there. It was so out of character, really lovely :001_wub:

Dallie doesn't count, Dallie is a tart with eeeeeveryone :rolleyes:

What are your cats like with babies visiting, or newborns?

G

·
Kizzy has got better over the years and will let my 3 year old stroke her but will tell her if she has had enough either by a hiss or just walking away. Eric as soon as he sees her is off but he does the same a bit to me even though he has been with me since a kitten. They are both older than my 3 year old so have had her around since a baby.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
It's probably because our children are 2 and 4 but neither Claude or Nancy are shy around children. Claude comes over for a quick look and then carries on as usual, whereas Nancy just sees babies and small children as mobile heat pads and will snuggle up for a sleep.

I am also amazed at how good babies and young children seem to be with cats, I have only had one mini visitor that wanted to pick them up and play roughly and it turned out that that is how she is allowed to play with her cats at home :mad: so she didn't know any better.

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
My little boy is nearly 3, was 2 when we got Thomas. They adore each other! Like brothers!
My so knows never to pick Thomas up, he's so gentle and caring with him. It's beautiful to see

G

·
Phoebe is very gentle with the cats and often gives Kizzy kisses as she says it makes Kizzy happy - I am not sure on that one! The only time I can remember when she was slightly naughty was when she was toddling and grabbed Eric's cheeks but he never flinched and was so easy going about it.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Oscar and Wilbur rush to greet all visitors, but how they react afterwards depends on the visitor.

If its small kids, both will hang around any room with the kids in, and settle themselves somewhere to watch/sleep. Oscar often sits within distance but safely away, but Wilbur sits right by the playing child...often across the toys/train tracks etc :rolleyes:

We got our boys when they were 9 weeks old, and our son was taught to respect the cats so always allowed the cats their space so I guess they don't see children as any kind of threat. Also, all kids/parents are warned as soon as they come to our house not to hold the cats unless I show them how to do so properly. If the child is interested then we sit down and I show them exactly how to stroke the cats, how it's important to support their weight and general funny stories about the cats.

To date, it has always made it an enjoyable experience for the cats and the children.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I can't remember the last time there were children in the house so I don't really know!!

They like my neighbours 11 year old as he comes over with his mum when she feeds them for us so I guess they associate him with food!

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's probably because our children are 2 and 4 but neither Claude or Nancy are shy around children. Claude comes over for a quick look and then carries on as usual, whereas Nancy just sees babies and small children as mobile heat pads and will snuggle up for a sleep.

I am also amazed at how good babies and young children seem to be with cats, I have only had one mini visitor that wanted to pick them up and play roughly and it turned out that that is how she is allowed to play with her cats at home :mad: so she didn't know any better.
:lol: mobile heat pads :lol: That's adorable :) Lovey to hear all about cats getting on with kids :) Makes me feel better- when we get around to having a kid the girls will be ok with the child eventually ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.