Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ticks

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by portiaa, Apr 12, 2011.

1. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Well.. Its getting towards summer now and warmer weather so the ticks are coming back..

Since I live in the country and we have lots of walks through long grass and foresty areas. I need to 'stock up' on the products to get rid of them should any appear. (im also needing flea and worming ones but frontline and drontal are fine for now)

:)

1) What would/do you use if you find a tick?
    2) is there any products that should be avoided as they do not work/can cause reactions?

Thanks,help really appreciated..

..Off to check the dogs for ticks! :D

2. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Last year was the first time i'd ever seen a tick,it was on my Kai.Fortunately we were staying at a farmhouse so i got the farmer to remove it.:D

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Lilly's picked up a fewover the last couple of years - especially when we've been to the forest.
    I've found that by keeping her frontline up to date when she does pick up a tic they are easy to remove with some tic tweezers.

4. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

6. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Thankyou! :) I will try get hold of some Tic tweezers. I will pop into pets at home tommorrow, Hopefully they might have some. :)

7. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

8. rona

rona Guest

9. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I've got the O'Tom Tick Remover too, works great - we got our from the vet as I hadn't seen a tick before and took Poppy up with what I thought was a wart!

I've just sent for some Billy No Mates tincture - natural flea, mite and tick repellent - scroll down, 6th item I think. Saw some good reviews on another site but got it from Serendipity as I wanted their puppy shampoo which I've had before and is gorgeous.

10. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Thankyou! :) Just had a look now and looks great, I will order the tick remover and then probably the tincture too! Thanks again! :)

11. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Im going to check Jack when i get home as weve been out alot in woodland over the weekend but i have no clue what im looking for :(
    Will i spot it easily?

12. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I've not seen too many ticks only about 4/5, But my dogs are all short coated breeds (e.g English bull terrier) so its easy to see them. Im not sure how easy/difficult it would be to see one on a medium/longer haired breed but im guessing more difficult. All the ones ive seen have been fairly sized, so not tiny. -therefor easier too see. although when grooming/petting your dogs you will probably be able to find/see.

Sorry im not much help as my dogs are all short coated and easy to see if ticks are present. :eek: :) Hope someone comes along soon to help with more experience with ticks. although im sure if he had one you would probably see/feel it. :)

13. DirtyGertie

This might help, not sure if it's clear enough. It's above her eye, right side looking at photo. It was proud of her skin, darkish brown colour and if you put your finger on it it could be rotated.

[​IMG]

14. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Yes that is a big help thanks, I always thought id notice.. But then someone said they thought one was a wart and it freaked me a little :lol:

I shall do a thorough inspection later.. Can i ask another q, Does the dog tend to notice or not?

15. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I dont think the dogs notice,if they scratched they would probably knock the body off but leave the head inside.

16. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

So they wouldnt be overly irratated.. Just clocking signs to look for :)

17. bagpuss4

bagpuss4 PetForums Member

Baxter had his 1st 2 Ticks up the woods last night both in his ear. Came out no prob with forceps but he did have a good scratch after it. I,m a bit obssessed with the blighter after contracting lyme's 2 years ago i don't want him to go throught the misery i did!

18. DirtyGertie

Poppy never noticed it at all, I nearly pooped myself 'cos I didn't know what it was. Found it in the evening and spent the whole night worrying she had a brain tumour or something just as serious - sounds so stupid now but we had a young cat we lost to a tumour, vet said it was either spine or brain as he had become paralysed over a few short weeks. I've never been so relieved as when the vet said it was a tick.

If you've got a needle threader like this, it will remove a tick if you haven't got an O'Tom one. Just place the thin wire bit over the tick and carefully draw it back, tick should come out whole.

[​IMG][/IMG]

19. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

Yes i have one of those, Tho im doggy shopping tomorrow (food ect not literally a dog lol) so ill pick a tick remover up just incase :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice