Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tick...!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Squeeze, May 22, 2020 at 8:19 PM.

1. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

So at 10 1/2 we’ve just found Jaxons first tick (on his boys bits of all places:oops:) ...!
    Now all the shops are shut...!
    Reluctant to use tweezers as I’m scared of squeezing it... Is it ok to leave until the morning once the shops are open to get a remover...?

2. Silverpaw

Silverpaw PetForums Senior

I don't think that would be a problem.The first time we encountered a tick was many years ago with my beautiful white JRT.Came home from first holiday with him and our other beautiful rescue dog, really worried because we found a growth on his head.Saw vet in a panic,thought it was some awful growth, only to have a tick removed!Have carried a tick removed with us ever since.Horrible things.

Squeeze likes this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Does he get a tick treatment? If so, is it possible it might die anyway and fall off itself?

Squeeze likes this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I've used a fork before, but it might only work if it's a biggish tick, or a smallish fork! Get it between the tines and twist one way or the other (it doesn't matter if clockwise or anticlockwise), just keep twisting and it should let go.

Torin., lullabydream and Squeeze like this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

The longer you leave it on the more likely disease can be transmitted.
    Honestly, I've always just used my fingers for ticks, on the dogs, cats, kids and myself. Took a tick off my waist the other day, area is still red and has a bump, but I'm fine.
    Pick the tick up holding it perpendicular to the skin, turn it a few turns, and pull straight out.

The only time I've used tweezers is when the tick is too small for me to lift with my fingers. People worry about leaving the head in or infection or whatever, but I've never found that to be an issue.

Magyarmum and Squeeze like this.
  6. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

He has Endectrid - It doesn’t list ticks but he was due some so I’ve given him some.

Its fairly small... And it’s placement is rather unfortunate...

Oh really...? Is it just one of those things to be cautious of but not too cautious...?

7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In my very non-expert opinion, yes. I've never had an issue with a head being left in. And I take ticks off daily in the summer months, so multiple dogs, cats, humans, daily tick removal, no issues. Every once in a while someone will get a red bump, but they go away.

Magyarmum and Squeeze like this.
  8. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Will have another look at it...
    It’s the first one we’ve ever had to deal with... They’re really not common here, not one of my dog owning friends have a tool I can borrow...

9. Silverpaw

We use Tom o tick remover,sort of hook that twists it to prevent leaving any in the dog.Remove them asap but not sure that it's a panic job,next day probably ok.I prefer this to having chemical,so harmful treatment, unless ticks are a major problem.Only ever had the odd one to deal with.

Squeeze and MontyMaude like this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I use those, carry the set in my purse so always handy.

Squeeze likes this.
  11. Silverpaw

They're brilliant, aren't they?I keep Maci's in his travel bag,so it's always with us.Can't count how many I've sent to rescues in Romania,where ticks can be a real problem.

Squeeze likes this.
  12. Jim40

Jim40 PetForums Junior

I have removed ticks from our dogs over the years. I'm not a vet but they have told us ticks suck the blood and if they are removed by tweezers etc. they put the blood back into the dog's system hence you are better using proper tick remover. Most places have them for under a fiver. The most recent one we removed from our dog had been there for a good while before we saw it due to its size. It came away on and rubber the site with a little hibiscrub. No I'll effects to dog. No need for a vet in our case.

Squeeze likes this.
  13. Jim40

Jim40 PetForums Junior

The last sentence should read. It came away ok and dabbed the site with hibiscrub

Squeeze likes this.
  14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I'm pretty sure ticks don't spit blood back in to the host when removed.

This is a quick read on the mechanics of how ticks attach and feed (with good graphics and a video, so don't click if you're squeamish about bugs).
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/...res-what-happens-when-a-tick-bites-you/#close

We do daily tick checks here all during tick season, the sooner you find them and remove them, the better.

Squeeze likes this.
  15. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I've always removed ticks with my fingers. When I lived in South Africa you'd find dozens on the dogs, cats, kids and yourself after a walk in the veldt

Squeeze and O2.0 like this.
  16. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Borrowed a tick remover from a friend...
    It was quite difficult to get the tool around the tick because of the placement... I’m guessing other areas are a little less squishy o_O

#16 Squeeze, May 23, 2020 at 6:28 PM
    Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    FAW56 and lullabydream like this.
  17. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Areas of the tick or of the dog? :rolleyes:

lullabydream likes this.
  18. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Poor Jaxon I have no experience of ticks but wish him well.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. Silverpaw

Yuk, they're horrid, keep wriggling their little legs once they're off the dog.Really cringe worthy!

lullabydream likes this.
  20. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Suprisingly I’ve yet to meet one on the boxers.

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice