Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tick trouble

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Biscuit123, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Hi!

My dog had a tick on her tail I don't know how I missed it as I check her over every night. She's a brindle and it's very hard to spot them on her. It was pretty big so I think it's been on her for a while.

Early I had posted on how she wouldn't eat, could that have been a side effect of the tick? Also she had been sleeping a lot more lately her schedule would be,

Wake up

Go potty

Sleep

Go for a walk

Around lunch time wake up and play till three

Sleep

Eat dinner

Play

Stay awake till bedtime and then sleep peacefully all night

Repeat

Could that also been a side effect of the tick? She's eating more since I got the tick off but still sleeping the same. What do you think? And how do I spot ticks if she's almost black dog?

2. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

My old jack russell used to get ticks all the time, I found the hair would part where the tick was so they were pretty easy to see. She was never seriously ill from it, if I remember rightly, she might have been a bit down for a day or two, but she would bounce right back. So it could be the tick, but personally I don't think this hot weather is doing our pooches any good, so maybe could be down to the weather? If she isn't any better in a day or two it's probably best to take her to the vets.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Might be worth adjusting your normal schedule while it's so hot, so that her main playtime isn't during the hottest part of the day.

As to tick-checks, I find doing a once-over with my hands more effective than just looking.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

In a large fluffy dog there are plenty of tick hiding places, however I’ve found most of Isla's on her head. It’s easy to spot ticks that have recently got onto her as she is light coloured, but once in all that fur then they could be anywhere. As we live and holiday in high tick areas I now use a seresto tick collar which lasts up to 8 months which help to get rid of the little blighters although I still check her over to find any walking ticks and inspect her head carefully for any attachments

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice